03' Nissan Maxima eating oil

I noticed there was a posting in here before about an 03' Maxima 6spd eating oil - well I'm at 53K and mine is doing the same thing. I don't even think I'm barely getting over 1000 miles for a quart of oil because I just had synthetic put in it 3K miles ago and I'm sure he put in 5 quarts and I barely have any now.

Any ideas? I'll prob. take it to the dealer in the morning - I really don't want to have to stop and put oil in it every so many miles. Hell to me it's still brand new. :(

Thx,

Laurie

Reply to
ll29

check PCV valve

Reply to
jmattis

Anything over 900miles/qt is considered normal.

Reply to
JimV

Some manufacturers say that oil consumption is normal and they even give figures as the one you mention. In my opinion, that is the way to justify poor design or manufacturing practices and poor vehicle quality. It is indeed normal for the oil level to drop, but it should be more in the range of 1/2 to 1 qt per oil change.

Some time ago, VW came out with this k> snipped-for-privacy@carol>

Reply to
AS

That is a possibility. We have to keep in mind, though, that today's engines are WAY more sophisticated and capable than yesterday's. Just think, a 3.5 liter V6 pushing out 300 HP. That was freaking un-heard of from even a 5.0 liter V8 back in the day. Because these engines work much harder, get hotter, are built to tighter tolerances, and a host of other reasons, a little more oil consumption may be a small, even miniscule trade-off for the incredible bang for the buck we're getting with today's motor. They do all this AND get better feul economy AND burn with cleaner emissions. Gotta luv it.

1 quart every 1000 miles? I'll live with that.

By the way, considering 1129's problem, the oil consumption may be OK since its about 1 qt every 1000 miles. Bear in mind that synthetic tends to burn off or leak out quicker than dyno oil, so you'd expect synthetic oil to go down faster if your dyno oil was going down a bit already.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Reply to
rppb

If these newer engines are built to tighter tolerances they should use LESS oil!!!

Reply to
gen1

In general that's true, but there are tolerances in every manufacturing operation. It doesn't take much to consume a qt every 1K miles. It doesn't effect the life of the engine and the oil is burned in the converter. You can complain to Nissan, but you won't get very far.

Reply to
JimV

Not if it's working correctly, it will be burned. We're talking about a very small amount of oil over a long time.

Reply to
JimV

Jim:

What is the source of your > AS wrote:

Reply to
AS

30 years of experience in the business.
Reply to
JimV

If the OP hasn't discovered a solution yet, check/clean/replace the PCV valve.

Reply to
Monte