96 Maxima Malfunction Indicator Light

1) My 1996 Maxima MIL showed that the Vehicle Speed Sensor was faulty. I replaced it but the light is still on (after 400 miles). Question: Do I have to drive the car a certain amount of time (or number of miles) before the light will reset itself or must it be manually reset? 2) After resetting the ECU, do I have to drive the car a certain amount of time (or number of miles) before the computer will recognize the various sensor inputs? I am told that some cars must be driven as much as 72 hours before all inputs are operational after a reset.

Any help appreciated.

John

Reply to
Phil

It's not miles, it's number of starts. The number 23 sticks in my head which may or may not be right. Find someone with an ODBII scanner and have them reset it.

Reply to
Jim

On a '96 the light will go out after it is driven 3 times AND the conditions present when the problem was first detected are encountered without the problem.

If the problem was related to fuel injection or misfiring, the freeze frame data will be held for 80 trips. All other problems, the data will be held for 40 trips.

If the battery terminal is disconnected, the data will be lost within 24 hours.

(this is all from the '96 I30 service manual)

Reply to
E. Meyer