'99 maxima # of rpm at 0mph

hi, actually i'm about to be a '99 maxima owner soon.(but not yet) so i figured i might as well as join now. i'm sure this won't be the last time. anyway, this car's rpm was at 1400 at 0 mph. is that normal for maxima? if not, what does this mean? thanks. oh, also i heard that the maxima has some problems with the ignition coil for 95 to 00 model. is that true? if it is, is there any ways to avoid the problem before it gets out of control?

Reply to
mike

No, it's normal. Is the check engine light on? Yes, there were coil problems in some of the 99's. I'd make sure it idled right (600rpm +/-) before I bought it.

Reply to
JimV

Opps, that should say "NOT normal"

Reply to
JimV

Reply to
View from Outer Space

That could be normal. When your car starts, and it's cold outside, the idle will be high, from 1500 to 2000 rpms. As the engine gets warm, it should settle down to 600-700 rpms.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Hi, Normal idle in gear RPM should be about 700-800 Also check service records for this car to see if the ignition coils have been replaced by Nissan. These had a high faillure rate in this model year.. Expensive repair

Reply to
lwilliams

Oh, now I remember -- you're the guy who said you need to remove the

2K1's intake manifold to replace the plugs! Not sure what makes you think it costs $300 a piece to change a coil, but you should really limit your posts to subject areas and/or topics you know something about. Someone might accidently take your advice seriously.
Reply to
Dan