99 nissan spark plugs

i was just wondering if an average joe could change the plugs in my girlfriends 99 maxima, ive done it on my bikes and oldder dodge ram.just trying to save money. any feedback would be great. thanks

Reply to
baldrob

Yes - its very easy.

Go to

for step-by-step instructions.

Make sure you use NGK Platinum plugs as replacements (OEM). They are on the pricier side, ~10 bucks a plug.

cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 131k
Reply to
njmodi

Iridiums will not last longer. The car has to be built to take advantage of the harder metal. Best to stick with OEM NGKs.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Not to enter in an argument:

Well, according to the NGK website, Iridium has "more durability and a higher melting point than platinum" and they do manufacture Iridium plugs for all sorts of vehicles.

What do you mean the car has to be built to take advantage of the harder metal?

By iridium being harder and tougher, the center electrode can be thinner and this helps with the ignition, the thinner the electrode, the easier the spark jumps the gap, thus requiring less energy to ionize the gap, thus having more energy to ignite the fuel mixture.

Codifus wrote:

Reply to
AS

Look at the change interval. It is the same or less than platinum's 60K miles for a 4th gen, or 100K miles for the 5th gen and later. If it's harder, what good is it doing? Iridium plugs do last longer in cars that came with them OEM. . . . the engine was designed for them. It's just like how the VQ loves NGK plats and for some reason last 40K miles longer in the (5th gen and later) motor.

Don't get me wrong, NGK make great stuff, it's just not quite the right application.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Just to add a twist to the discussion... I would assume the Maxima's ignition system is designed to build up a certain potential difference between the electrodes to generate the spark.. if the gap is narrower, wouldn't the timing and or strength of the spark be affected?

Given that the change interval is 60k (i.e very infrequent) and NGK platinums are readily available, I see no reason to use any other plugs (NGK or otherwise).

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi