cig. lighter not working in maxima

I use the cig lighter to charge only my cellphone. It has never used other than that..........was working, now all of a sudden it is not working.........check one fuse a 15a, and it is good.

Any other possble causes for this to go just out of the blue?

Reply to
Devils Advocate

Try engaging the actual lighter once to make sure the socket is actually dead.

Could be the cell charger has given up the ghost. They usually have a fuse in them just behind the tip. I can't remember ever having one that lasted the life of the phone it came with.

Reply to
E Meyer

Lighter will not work

cell charger tested and works

Reply to
Devils Advocate

Then replace the fuse even though it looks good and pull the connector off the back of the lighter. Should be voltage present if the key is in position I or II (accessory or run). If still no voltage at the connector, start tracing for the broken wire. If there is voltage present and lighter & charger both don't work, try a different socket (local junkyard is usually a good source).

You don't say what year Maxima. Older ones (95-99) only have the 15a fuse to the lighter, newer Nissans (my other FSM is for an '02 Pathfinder) have a relay between the fuse and the lighter and also a second fuse for the rear lighter.

When all else fails, trace/check the ground wire(s).

Reply to
E Meyer

It is a 95 SE. How do I pull the connector off the back of the lighter? sorry lol It seems the only way to do that is scrap the dash around the lighter.

Reply to
Devils Advocate

Pop out the trim piece that surrounds the shifter from the rear corners. A putty knife inserted into an old t-shirt & pry gently works pretty well.

Reply to
E Meyer