Maxima 2000: can new muffler cut MPG by 3-4??

A couple months ago, my 2000 Maxima with 68,000 miles start making terrible clunking noises from the muffler area.

My head wasn't on straight that day and I took it over to Meineke. A pipe was rusted out and hanging...they said even though the original stainless steel muffler was fine, they had to replace the muffler to replace the connecting pipe. I said "fine".

I know...dumb move in hindsight and I wish I would have taken it elsewhere.

Well the Meineke muffler was $220 or something like that and looks/works fine.

However I swear I get 3-4 MPG less than I used to. Possible? I also got the MAF sensor replaced in the same time period...

Reply to
pgg

The muffler should have little/nothing to do with fuel economy. The MAF however can have a major impact. Look to the MAF if you see statistically significant change in mpg.

Reply to
dgeesaman

Not possible.

Also the Maxima has an all St Stl exhaust system - you should be contacting your local BBB if Mienake replaced something "rusted". A bracket may have broken/corroded, but not a pipe in the exhaust sytem.

Reply to
common_ sense

A bracket was indeed broken/corroded. He made the claim that the broken bracket somehow caused the pipe to be unusable.

At the time I was stressed about other things in my life and didn't think.

This was a couple months ago...I doubt I can go back and get any compensation. I spent ~ 330 for the new muffler and service work

Reply to
pgg

Also what is not possible? The MAF affecting MPG or the exhaust affecting MPG?

Reply to
pgg

You are replying to the class clown. His dad owns a Nissan dealership and he figures that gives him a clue.

Some good info here:

No One

The muffler should have little/nothing to do with fuel economy. The MAF however can have a major impact. Look to the MAF if you see statistically significant change in mpg.

What/where is a maf sensor?

I own a 95 max that has poor fuel economy. Did reg. tune up

Reply to
Devils Advocate

A muffler with the wrong size (capacity) or wrong diameter pipe will affect more than fuel consumption, can even lead to engine overheating, poor performance, etc.

Remember that for some eng> A couple months ago, my 2000 Maxima with 68,000 miles start making

Reply to
AS

You do bring up a point I had thought about and disregarded.

An overly restrictive muffler or some other clog could definitely reduce power. But you will feel the loss in power, probably well before you see a change in fuel economy. The OP described loss in fuel economy only.

As for too little restriction, these cars don't have issues (aside from emissions legality and sound level) when running straight pipe exhausts. I believe the too little restriction thing is largely a myth, in fact.

Dave

Reply to
dgeesaman

There are systems that actually control the flow of gases in the muffler to get the needed backpressure for some operating conditions. Not in the 2000 Maxima, that i know of.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
AS

Must be a sad life - just sitting around stalking an obscure news group - making none sense posts.

Reply to
common_ sense

the exhaust,,the MAF definitely could.

Reply to
common_ sense

the brackets are not Stainless Steel - you didn't say it was a bracket in your original post.

Reply to
common_ sense

That's what I figured. When are you going to stop it?

Strange you didn't tell him it was because he didn't run premium.

Reply to
No One

Yes, the 2000 thru 2002 Maxima have variable mufflers that "open up" at higher RPMs.

My guess is it's the MAF change and the computer is still adjusting to it.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

To the OP, no. A new muffler/pipe, even is sized extremely small or large, will not cause a 3-4 MPG change in fuel economy in a car that gets 19-24 MPG. This is way too large a change for such a swap. There are certain years of Max that have a stock muffler (stamped "Calsonic" on my car) which has a flap that opens at 2,000 RPM or so. I have seen this replaced on several Maximas with an open-style muffler with no perceptible changes.

Look elsewhere in the car for your fuel economy issues.

BTW, fuel ec> A couple months ago, my 2000 Maxima with 68,000 miles start making

A MAF sensor replaced, for a good one I assume, should only *improve* mileage from a deficient number to the normal number. What mileage do you get, exactly? A MAF bad enough to chop 3-4 MPG ought to throw a check engine light.

Reply to
George

No one has ask if the ECM was reprogramed when the MAF was changed. Apparently the dealer needs to reprogram the ECM to match the MAF used. Makes sense but MAFs in these cars really can cuase havick with runability and a code that is thrown never indicates its the MAF. If your still low on MPG give it a shot.

-- Message posted using

information at

88vette