I come home from vacation and

My 95 SE won't start, I just get tic tic tic when I turn the key. I've been having starting issues lately, I had to turn the key several times from the off to the start position before it would engage. This sounded like a switch problem that was mentioned in the group, but the ticking sound is new. Do I just replace the starter?

thanks Mike

Reply to
Mike Frith

Sounds like a weak/dead battery to me... (your current problem).

The "having to turn key multiple times" is a bad ignition switch.

Nirav

96 Max GLE, 128k
Reply to
njmodi

Sounds like a weak/dead battery to me... (your current problem).

The "having to turn key multiple times" is a bad ignition switch.

Nirav

96 Max GLE, 128k
Reply to
njmodi

Thanks Nirav,

I'll look at the battery.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Frith

All things being equal, I would agree that the turning the key multiple times to get the starter to engage is the ignition switch, however, when I had this problem in my '93 max, the problem was old grease in the starter preventing the solenoid from pushing out. It took me about twenty minutes to pull, clean, regrease and reinstall the starter, and since you have to disconnect the battery when you replace the battery (and also to replace the starter), which is almost certainly dead, why don't you try cleaning up the grease and regreasing the starter motor. Could be your probleam and it's cheap and easy. Just a thought.

Reply to
Hazey

...I'll look at the battery. Mike Like Hazey says, it may well be the starter: dirty solenoid, burned solenoid contacts, starter gearbox, worn brushes&collector (happens typically after 100kmiles).

If its Battery:

- Only the end RESULT is found there; voltage below 12V, (batt is dead if its voltage drops below 9V at startup, measured at batt).

- The CAUSE is bad/no charge and/or Alt leak.

---->"I've been having starting issues lately,"----

Bad charge is either oxidized supply connectors, -or- problem with alternator (=worn brushes, bad regulator, rectifier diode blown, bad grounding). Eventually kills the batt.

Take on a connectors cleanup project, then measure charge voltage, measure rectifier leak current. See pages 10,14

Alt DIY service:

Wiikinki

contacts, starter gearbox, worn brushes&collector (happens typically after

100kmiles).

voltage drops below 9V at startup, measured at batt).

(=worn brushes, bad regulator, rectifier diode blown, bad grounding). Eventually kills the batt.

rectifier leak current. See pages 10,14

Thanks for the links Wiikinki.

A new battery solved the starting problem. Hopefully I can get to the switch issue in the next few weeks.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Frith