Intermittant stalling '01 Max

After having the "service eng. soon" light come on twice then go off on my 2001 maxima gle I figured it was nothing major and would see my mechanic after the holidays. Well today it stalled while idling at a stop light and 2 more imes when idling in a parking lot. The car has 60k miles. I know that this symptom could indicate many things but any ideas from you guys about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Tony.

Reply to
leftony

You need to have the codes read for us to give you any pointers. It could be any of a few dozen things.

Reply to
JimV

At 60k IACV is dirty, cleanup will not hurt, half hour job, no spares. Might be the sole cause... and/or MAF Mass AirFlow sensor

Reply to
Wiikinki

Just had diagnostic done and code was "172" anyway thats what my tech said. Does this mean PO 172? He said thursday morning would be soonest he could work on it. Any idea what 172 is? Again thank you. Tony. PS Poor gas mileage is another issue that has yet to have been resolved.

Reply to
leftony

P0172 - Fuel Injection System Too Rich (Bank 1)

cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Chances are you have a bad upstream O2 sensor or a defective MAF, either of which would also explain your poor fuel mileage. Replacing an O2 sensor should run about $200 or so. If it's the MAF, make sure they only replace the sensor (about $100) and not the whole MAF assembly which is MUCH more expensive. You can actually replace the MAF sensor yourself in less than 5 minutes. In fact, some folks who use K&N air filters keep a spare in the car just in case since over oiling the filter can kill the MAF.

Reply to
Dan