Maxima 89 ignition.

I have an 89 Maxima that has weird behaviour. Sometimes it just will not start. The battery is fine but it will not start !! usually after I try repeatedly I leave it alone and after some hours it starts seamlessly. I do not know what to do for it !

Any help or pointers are appreciated.

Reply to
Dude

Check your neutral safety switch

Reply to
Brian

Where would I find the neutral safety switch ?

Reply to
Dude

By the shift lever

Reply to
Brian

I had the same exact symptom, 1995 Maxima. Replace the ignition switch (about $50 dealer part plus your labor) or have someone replace it for you. It's a well known Maxima problem. Don't waste time, don't repeat my mistakes (new starter, new battery - wasted money; I tried to find the neutral safety switch, had to give up in frustration, the Chilton book was no help at all).

Regards,

Gershon Shamay

Reply to
Gershon Shamay

Remember 89 and 95 are 2 very different cars

Reply to
Brian

There were also some 3rd gen (89-94) Maximas that had dead-spots on starter motors. Easier to diagnose with a stick shift than with automatic because you can move the car and let in the clutch and get the motor to turn a little bit. Good luck. Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded

seamlessly. I do

Reply to
BeeP

Just a guess but it might be a faulty power relay at the computer. dk

Reply to
Dave Kind

You must be talking about the ELECTRICAL ignition switch because the keyed ignition switch is nothing more than a glorified screwdriver. Yes, it could possible be the electrical portion of the switch, it's held in by a screw or two and is easy to remove after the 'easy to remove' column shrouding is out of the way.

You could test the switch by jumping a few wires but if you are not mechanically inclined then maybe you should not. On many vehicles the electrical switch can be taken apart and repaired, some are very simple while there are others that were designed in hell. I can't really say for sure about yours, post a picture.

Reply to
Rod WIlliams