205XLD Fuel filter

My 1988 205 diesel has a CAV fuel filter/primer which leaks when pressurised. I picked up a similar unit (but french make) from a slightly later 205, but when I got around to fitting it I noticed that the Lucas filter has a water heating feed.

Question.... Is it worth fitting the filter and bypassing the water feed, or blanking the feed off, or just buying a proper Lucas CAV unit ???

Thanks

Tony M

Reply to
Tony M

You can just get the plunger unit to fit in the filter housing. Failing that, if it will come apart, you can be sure that the only fault is a worn out O ring. The water heating is useful at this time of year.

Reply to
Brian

Hi,

i would have said yes, but from experience, I'd tell no. My brother had to remove the fuel heating system due to a fuel pipe crack (won't explain it) on his '91 DTurbo and lived in eastern France with no trouble.

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Many thanks for the responses.

You can't build one filter out of the two, as the Lucas bolts together from the top whereas the french one assermbles from the bottom. That said, I'm sure I could sort that problem but I don't have the time/will/enthusiasm.

I think a new Lucas CAV unit is the answer. Anyone know of the price/online supplier ??

Cheers

Tony M

Reply to
Tony M