406 external plastic door trim replacement

I was amazed (and horrified) to find that the EXTERNAL door trim to the rear of the driver's window frame is nothing more than sticky-on plastic! (406 tdi R-reg).

Because some idiot didn't fix it properly in the factory (about a six-inch strip along the edge of the door was left sticking up) the elements have dried it out and it is now badly cracked and breaking-up.

Has anyone had this problem and is it possible to buy some replacement material? (It is not much better than 'Fablon' ! )

Reply to
Cire

Yes, mine is splitting away at the leading edge.

I don't know but I will watch this post with interest.

Buccaneer

Reply to
Buccaneer

I thunk you'll find that all the doors have this stick on black trim, and it usually last quite well, as long as it is fitted properly in the first place (as you have found out). It is available as a kit (all the doors) I believe. At least it is on the 306 so I guess the 406 would be the same.

Reply to
Nigel

The black plastic trim is freely available from Pug main dealers and it comes in individual pieces so you shouldn't have to buy a whole set (unless you want to). Replaced the small piece of trim just under the side repeater after it had been knocked off and was pleasantly surprised to find it only cost about £3 to get. Think the longer door strips will be a lot more, but not extortionate they are normally stocked in parts dept. but can be ordered in less than a week.

Good luck

Reply to
Longshot

That's a very helpful and cheering reply, thank you.

I will try the main dealer and post a report on the outcome.

Many thanks.

Eric

Reply to
Cire