460 economy mode

I think i know the answer to this already but is it possible to disable economy mode on a 52 plate 406?

I very often have to wait around for more than 30 minutes and to having to turn the engine over just to be able to listen to the radio is a bit pointless.

Thanks,

Rich

Reply to
Richard Setford

Hi,

Errr I'm affraid not. Come on, it's a good feature I think, to avoid flattening the battery such a foolish way. I have it on my '02 206 and I think it's a good thing. Why not reading instead ? :-)

Regards,

-- G.T

Reply to
G.T

I hear what you're saying. Sadly I like reading and listening to music/radio ;o)

Yes it's a great feature, I can't disagree with you there. It would be nice to have an option though.

Thanks,

Rich

G.T wrote:

Reply to
Richard Setford

I have the earlier one and you can turn the radio on when the ignition is in the fully off position. Does that work on yours?

Reply to
Keith W

Hi,

No option for that, IMO.My 206 which have similar electronics I think doesn't, even not through the diagbox (anyway, you should ask it to your Pug dealer -which may be unusual as well- and pay for the job to be done, a price which is usually sadly high).

Regards,

-- G.T

Reply to
G.T

Hello Keith,

It works, but we're talking about the economy mode here, that means, radio, roof light, ... works, but for a limited total time of 30 minutes (2x15 minutes or 3x10 for example), after which the display shows "Economy mode", the radio switches off, as most accessories, the only ones remaining to work are the headlights, hazard signals, i.e "outside signaling lights", unless you start the engine, to avoid flattening battery. And I'll say once again it's a brilliant featuren which IIRC appeared with full-muxed cars.

Regards,

-- G.T

Reply to
G.T

From which I assume that my 1999 hybrid Mk1/Mk2 is not fully muxed (whatever that means)?

Reply to
Keith W

Hi,

My memory may not be accurate... Some cars (first 206s and first 406s for example) used a partial multiplexing, hence a far lower integration in electronics & loom. Full multiplexing appeared in production with the 607 and later with the

307s, then later on "renewed cars", like Mk2 406 and '02 206 at least. This structure means the car's ECU are linked each other with data buses (at PSA's at this time, 4 were used : 1 CAN / high speed for engine electronics and 3 VAN (Vehicle Area Network, a digital bus developped by Valeo)) for features entering into the "comfort features" category (radio, remote locking, aircon...), this mux'ing allowing far easier looms (with only 4 wires going to the boot in theory), hence a better integration. That's on the fully multiplexed cars we hear of BSI.

I hope this was clear enough, and I hope it's understandable.

Regards,

-- G.T

Reply to
G.T

And not possible. It's a feature of fully muxed cars and cannot be switched off, I'm afraid

Reply to
Nigel

Thanks GT. As Nigel will remember, my 406 2.0 HDI car is a hybrid with an uprated MK1 body (though not yet the MK2) and mechanics which (again not fully) are akin to the MK2. I had to buy two Haynes manuals to cover it because one does up to 1998 and the other starts with 2000. The poor old

1999 model drops in between. So whether it is fully muxed I have no idea. Is there an easy way to tell other than leaving the radio on for half an hour, which in itself would be unwise as the car is still running on the original battery and I have no idea whether it would survive it.
Reply to
Keith W

I am pretty sure yours would be a normal or a semi muxed car, Keith. To be sure look at the radio remote switch on the column. If it is a thin type which just goes up and down and back and forward then it is not muxed or semi. If it is a large type which doesn't move and has buttons on it for volume and changing stations then it is fully muxed and does the economy mode. I hope that is clear!!

Reply to
Nigel

Thanks Nigel. It is the thin type, same as my previous 405 had, so it is obviously not the fully muxed (that phrase sounds quite embarrassing). Sorry I took a while to get back, just had an enjoyable week with our three year old grandson at Butlins in Bognor.

Reply to
Keith W