High milage 106?

I am considering purchasing a 1999 106 1.5D with 96,000 miles on the clock. FSH, new alternator and battery, new cambelt.

How are these for longevity? What tends to break at around this mileage?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Brian Jennings

in article [MESSAGGIO], [NOME] at [INDIRIZZO] wrote on [DATA]:

Mine's got 115,000 km. So far i replaced battery and front disks. I'm wondering what to do for some preventive maintenance. Any tip?

Reply to
Luca Arnulfo

They are fine. The older 1.4 version tended to be prone to head gasket failure if allowed to overheat, but the 1.5 is much more robust. If it's maintained properly, it's easily capable of 200k+. In terms of specific outputs and bearing pressures, its quite an unstressed engine.

I would have suggested getting the cambelt changed, and I'd also suggest getting the brakes checked - there's more weight on the front end than in other 106's and the brakes do suffer slightly more wear. Also the gear linkages can become sloppy as the cup&ball joints wear, but that's a pretty cheap fix.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

150,000 is high mileage for nearly all cars nowadays.
Reply to
Conor

Rubbish.

You should be good for 200k with careful driving and maintainance, even with a petrol engine. Diesels last much longer.

Andy

Reply to
ZS

Eh?!

Reply to
DervMan

If looked after, it's barely run in! :)

The usual, non-engine stuff like suspension, breaks, exhausts.

If the price is right, go for it.

Reply to
DervMan

Hi,

Yes, true :-) My brother's '91 205 DTurbo has 150,000 miles, his mile-o-meter has just broken. More seriously, I haven't read such things for a while !

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Well I've just rolled over 131k miles on my 1360cc petrol 205 - apart from some bad cold running (need the carb setting up) the engine is pretty sweet.

Aside from damage from bumps, there's not really been much wrong with it - the only main thing was a small oil leak from the corner of the headgasket which I got replaced before it blew.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

If the price is right, go for it.

I sold my 1.0l 205 Junior (very base model) with 130k on the clock two years ago and the girl who bought it is still running it no problem.

Oh, the cam belt went at 110k (from new) and I did change the oil at about

90k, but otherwise, nothing but exhaust and brakes etc.

Incidentally, when I replaced the cam belt (tensioned by hand) and checked the compression, it was still a good 40% above recommended book minimums.

The only thing that did go with it frequently was the alternator.

I cannot imagine the 206 is that different, under the skin, but I am no mechanic.

Reply to
Kalico