pug 406 aircon prob

car is a 98 1.9 td lx, compressor clicks when ac activated, but fan at front no longer kicks in,do these fans give grief or is there a relay or something else that goes faulty? other fan for engine cooling works fine, any help appreciated, Stephen.

Reply to
belfastcalling

If you remove the litle grille between the headlights ( the 4 plastic snap in you have to renew!! ) behind it there is a box with 3 relays in it.

the lower one is probably faulty, maybe corroded, ore just dirty

clean and replace as nececarry ( a multi meter does help you in these) be careful with the wire loom there

test for function

if ok

spray a good sealant over it! ( like the D2 stuff )

replace cap

remount grille

was the stop indicator light blinking? if yes it is probably the mass wire to the relay

if not it might be the relay itself

good luck!

Reply to
Marc

not seen stop light lit other than starting car,have voltage to pins 1 and

4 in the lower relay you mention, and when ac activated that lower relay clicks,but not a peep from the top right relay,..i have tried relays from a m8s car which are working,can get a fan for £20 from breakers,might be worth a try,...before i melt in this heat....thanx for reply, Stephen.
Reply to
belfastcalling

not seen stop light lit other than starting car,have voltage to pins 1 and

4 in the lower relay you mention, and when ac activated that lower relay clicks,but not a peep from the top right relay,..i have tried relays from a m8s car which are working,can get a fan for £20 from breakers,might be worth a try,...before i melt in this heat....thanx for reply, Stephen.
Reply to
belfastcalling

this is getting very odd indeed....took fan of and put 12v to it, it worked!!!!!! run car with air con on and put my multi meter across the terminal plug, wallagh 14.1 volts......however...when assembled fan did not run...mean to say, and yes the plug socket is securely home,..- and + obviously present at socet and fan working direct from 12v, so what the f*ck is wrong...could it be something limiting the ampage to fan....again at a loss and scratching my head,thanks for replies marc...what you rtekon about this....Stephen..

Reply to
belfastcalling

Try measuring the voltage on either fan connector while it's supposed to be running. That should give a clue as to where the high resistance problem is. If the + wire is low, search back to supply. If the -Ve wire is high check resistance of the earthy end of fan (to chassis)

Rick.

Reply to
Rick Maninov

can you measure the actual amps that go to the fan, ( serealize a meter in the V+ wire) a voltage itself does not say all that much. so how is the voltage under the load of the fan, does it drop?

have you bypassed the relay? is it working then? how about feeding the fans directly from the baterry, and then let te relay switch it on

it sounds like your having a mass resistance/break problem, so is the mass from the fan not corroded? how about taking the mass directly from the battery and then try it?

is there a pug garagist that can read out the diag3000 and does not charge you next months rent?

Grrz from holland

Marc

Reply to
Marc

thats an easier way of putting it, sorry for the clog english

doe they use mass amounts of salt to clear the roads in wintertime in belfast? this namely caused a very simmilar problem on my 406

Reply to
Marc

good news.....had enough tinkering at the bast***, took it to my local air con guy,(greenaways) of belfast,..fans all ok, it was the gas in the high pressure,or the lack of it,got it regassed and pressure and leak tested and all ok, so im now a happy camper with a nice cool interior,can only but wonder were the gas went if theres no leak, however for the time being its working,...thanks to all for the advice it is appreciated...till the next time....Stephen.

Reply to
belfastcalling

the aircon system is never hermetically closed of for constructional reasons ( don't ask me) is is supposed to loose some of its coolant over time. an annual check is needed ( i know its not in the manual)

luckaly you can keep your head cool..

grrzz

M.

Reply to
Marc

I disagree. It has to be sealed, but what happens is that if it is not used for an extended period, like during the winter months, the various seals go hard and that is where the leaks occur.

Reply to
Nigel

it is factory info so dont ask me why but it is not sealed hermetically, for whatever reason... sure not using the aircon causes hardened seals but that is just one of the aircon gremlins that can occur.

Reply to
Marc