406 engine guard

I have a 1998 406 2.1TD GLX. Underneath the car, there's a plastic guard that covers the whole width of the car under the engine. The only time I normally remember it is it's a pain in the a*se when it comes to changing the oil. Anyway, it has recently broken on a journey, and part of it wore away scraping the road. I've taken it off for now. Anyway, Peugeot want £120 & Vat for this piece of plastic. Do I desperately need this, as my mate's 1.8 LX doesn't have it. I'm wondering if it's just a luxury on the GLX and do I really need to spend nearly £150 to get a new one,

Thanks in advance, Neil

Reply to
Neil D

Neil Barnes

Hi Neil, thanks for the confirmation. I did wonder if it was an engine related item, but you've just confirmed that it's a fashion accessory for the GLX,

Thanks again, Neil

Reply to
Neil D

Dont bother. Probably a con by Peugeot, saying something it cuts wind noise or some other such crap. And by taking it off you'll be helping your engine keep cool during the summer months!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

It is only fitted to diesels and is a noise insulation item. So if you don't find an increase in noise from the engine, then don't worry about it. And, yes, it is a ridiculous price!

Reply to
Nigel

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. I've noticed a marginal difference in engine noise at low speeds, but that's because I'm actively listening for it. I can possibly repair the old one if I can find simular plastic for the bit that's worn away, but I'm certainly in no rush to do anything. And I thought the Peugeot dealer was thinking of my engine, rather than his profits. Another black mark for the already poor performing Peugeot dealers,

Thanks again, Neil

Reply to
Neil D

Just to close this up, I've managed to add another piece of plastic (an old bin lid), and re-attach the engine guard. The supposed extra noise I heard is still there, and has probably always been there. So to conclude, if your engine guard breaks, there's no need to renew it, it does nothing apart from catch the occaisonal oil drip, which is why I went through the aggro of repairing mine. Another tip is if you listen hard enough for a noise on your car, you'll find one,

Thanks all for your replies again, and I hope this might help someone in the future, Neil

Reply to
Neil D

It will also deflect a lot of water from the engine bay if you hit a puddle at speed! If you haven't got one, go easier in floods!

Reply to
John Ricketts

Thanks John, but I've managed to repair it, so it's business as usual, although all those with LX models must manage ok, I think it's a pure luxury for the glx upwards,

Cheers Neil

Reply to
Neil D

Sorry boys, but my 1998 2.1TD LX also has a luxury under engine shield. If your ain't got its probably becaquse it fell off before you bought the car, or else it was deliberatly left off!

Reply to
Hardgrafter