Frozen Washer Fluid

I wanted to wash all the windows on the car today . They are quite dirty and its only 8 degrees out. My bucket of washer fluid in the garage is frozen, so is the sponge side of the squegee. Funny how the gallon jug on a shelf & the bottle of washer fluid under the hood isn't frozen. Oh well, I'll bring the bucket in - must be from the air.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~275,726 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Geoff Welsh

Doesn't windshield washer fluid have alcohol or something similar? And doesn't that family have a low freezing point but it'll evaporate pretty easily? That's all I can think of.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

That's true, the alcohol does lower the freezing point. The alcohol evaporated and the remaining blue water froze.

Better saran wrap the bucket next time HF!

GW

Phillip Schmid wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

GW

I didn't take chemistry in HS.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~275,726 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Forgot where I heard this, but something about pure water wont freeze until there is a speck of dirt or something in it for ice crystals to start forming around.

Also pure water wont conduct electricity.

Reply to
Paradox

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

No, but trying to boil water in a smooth container can be dangerous, that's why Chem. teachers give students "boiling chips".

yup. You need an aqueous ionic solution, and pure water is not one. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh