Yet Another No Start

I've got a 1990 pontiac 6000 se, 6 cylinder,3.1 it stalled last week, I thought due to being out of gas, but after putting a quarter of a tank into the tank, it still fails to turn over. it'll start but it won't turn over. The battery was replaced, but previous to this the car was misfiring, a mechanic I took it to for that problem thought it was the ignition coil,but it was not. I'm at a loss and I really need this car up and running.

Reply to
riboflavintx

Did it just die while being driven? That happened in my '86 6000 LE; turned out to be the timing gears.

Could be many other things as well - any other symptoms prior to it dying?

Reply to
REP

This is bad slang gone way to far. What in the heck do you think "turn over" means?

A properly working automoblie works thusly; The starter "cranks" the engine. The engine "starts". The engine "runs".

What's wrong with yours, again? GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Seems to me it would "turn over" before it "starts"? I don't know how he managed to get it to start but not turn over????

Reply to
Dennis Smith

by 'turn over' I mean rather than sitr there silent,when I turn the key it'll rumble,but it won't actually start the engine into a sustained form of life. symptoms 2 weeks prior: missifiring loss of gas milage a powerful surge when exceeding speeds of 40,and once again at 60 symptoms prior the break down: low gas symptoms of the breakdown: power run devices fail(breaks/steering)

part of the problem seems to have been a bad battery,but replacement of the battery didn't yeild anything. My neighbor thinks it may be the selenoid cap, or a bad battery connection.

Reply to
riboflavintx

If the power steering failed, then the car died, then I'd guess your belt broke, but that would have been quite obvious. The misfiring, bad mileage, and surging can all be attributed to low fuel pressure, or ignition problems. Check the fuel pressure at the rail with a gage first. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh