Which Body is this??

The seller says it isn't a Gemballa. Any idea who built this car? I went and looked at it and they aren't overstating the finish work. It is probably a factory job (aftermarket factory) or one of the most talented body shops you have ever seen. It looks like it came this way stock.

Dark

Reply to
FollowingDarkness

It might be a rinspeed.

FollowingDarkness wrote in news:Xns93AB730DB9223FollowingDarkness@209.25.157.130:

Reply to
Big Earl

P.O.S. (piece of S#IT!!)

Reply to
pcarfan

He said that because it's an incredibly ugly car. Well done? I don't know, I haven't seen it up close (and having eaten recently, I've no desire to), but whoever designed it was on something that makes crack cocaine look like Bayer's Childrens Aspirin. It looks like a slant-nose 930 conversion thrown in a blender with a Testarossa replica and a 914-GT body kit. Something like this shouldn't happen to a Fiero, much less a 911. As for it being a RUF or Gemballa car: I'm tempted to e-mail those companies and let them know of this accusation - I suspect they and their lawyers wouldn't take it lightly. No real Porsche tuner turned out this monstrosity, and there's a reason the sellers don't know who did; he realized what he'd done, he destroyed all records and killed himself. Or he faked it to avoid pursuit. Such people should be chased with torches by angry villagers. As for what th poor car really was - it's a 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera. They've mucked around with the VIN, but it's still recognizable and the engine leaves no doubt, despite their "looks like a 930 motor" comment. A lot of shady sorts do this on eBay, use incomplete or invalid VINs and claim it was a typo later. I've occasionally e-mailed people directly with what the correct VIN is and been told to mind my own beeswax; they don't want you running a Carfax. And I'll bet it's unavailable for a PPI too. This car was likely salvaged at one point. Someone with poor judgment bought the wreck and "fixed" it. I'll lay odds that their "someone's disrupting our auctions" claim is simply their worst fear personified: a person with a clue, e-mailing the bidders and warning them not to waste their money. And they probably found out because some of the bids are shills. Emanuel

Reply to
Emanuel Brown

might be a "ruf" I think thats the name that use to do some custom 911's

Reply to
Dave

I was right. It is a Rinspeed R69. Guess that changes the "No Porsche Tuner" thing. Oh well, everyone's an expert. BTW, I had no problem decoding the VIN on this car either.

Earl

Big Earl wrote in news:Xns93AEC9861EABigEarl@209.25.157.130:

Reply to
Big Earl

I'll gladly stand corrected, but first could you provide an URL or something showing this monstrosity is the R69 (the Turbo 1, iirc)? I'm still having trouble believing Rinspeed did this - most of their bodykits have been simply aero-kits comprising new front and rear bumpers and perhaps a spoiler. The slant-nose I can believe; the Ferrari strakes along the side and complete changing of the rear end give me more trouble.

Which is different than conceding that it's been messed with; so answer clearly, for those of us in the back row with hangovers, Earl - is the VIN as written on the web site a legitimate Porsche VIN, yes or no? The seller is dishonest or ignorant, and neither is a good quality in a used Porsche salesman. If the seller honestly can't tell the difference between a stock Carrera 3.2 motor and a 930 turbo, or recognize a valid VIN, is he to be trusted when he says the engine's okay and the bodywork is sound? I'm supposed to believe the valve-guide issues of the engine are okay, when the guy doesn't know what engine it is? They're asking forty grand for the thing, and I wouldn't trust them with 40 cents. Emanuel

Reply to
Emanuel Brown

You should do a little better research before posting such comments. This car is a 1985 Rinspeed 911 turbo conversion R69. While you may not like its look, your claims are certainly untrue. It is a professional conversion by a respected tuner. See the following page for more info:

RaLF

Reply to
ralfsworld

Thanks for the link - I never saw the old conversions on the site, just the new ones. I stand corrected - it's an actual tuner-built monstrosity. Emanuel

Reply to
Emanuel Brown

Mr. Darkness...

I like that name. First let me say, POS is a compliment considering the actual visual impression that car makes. I know we all have varying tastes, but who ever would consider that vehicle attractive regardless of the abortionist responsible ,should seek immediate psychiatric help. Please not trying to be rude.......I've owned 7 911's in the last 30years they are wonderful cars so I have developed some opinions.

BTW.....Mr.Brown , perhaps your facts were not exactly correct. Your observations were!!!! Cheers

P_carfan

Reply to
pcarfan

Emanuel Brown wrote: : On 7 Jul 2003 11:43:42 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (ralfsworld) : wrote: :>You should do a little better research before posting such comments. :>This car is a 1985 Rinspeed 911 turbo conversion R69. While you may :>not like its look, your claims are certainly untrue. It is a :>professional conversion by a respected tuner. See the following page :>for more info: :>

: Thanks for the link - I never saw the old conversions on the site, : just the new ones. I stand corrected - it's an actual tuner-built : monstrosity. : Emanuel

Hmmm, a 911 with 944 taillights... as Slim Pickens said in Blazing Saddles, "Now what'll that as$h*le think of next?"!

I do like their speedboat though...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Heck, we're *all* just spouting off. That's what people on Usenet do. But opinion in this case should be heard if someone's thinking of buying this thing, because the BIN price is $40,000 for what is essentially a 1984 Carrera with limited appeal/resale value. Even if you *love* this creature, it ain't worth double the price of a pristine Carrera, and it ain't worth the cost of a 930 turbo. Emanuel

Reply to
Emanuel Brown

Emanuel Brown wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm not so sure on that one. Try to find a Rinspeed conversion for sale. Not many around. Now just bite your tongue on "Nobody wants one", they are quite valueable and people tend to hold on to them. I would think that anything south of 50K for a factory tuner conversion with this amount of uniqueness would be in line. An 86 Gemballa Avalanche sold last month for $62K. and it was god-awful looking. Looked like the whole thing had been whitewashed.

Earl

Reply to
Big Earl

It was discovered that this is a Rinspeed R69 or 969

Earl

snipped-for-privacy@cruisesonly.com (Rhadamanthus) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Reply to
Big Earl