Lewis & Clark thesis

Hello Everyone,

For my senior thesis at Lewis & Clark College in Portland, Oregon. I am studying the willingness of hybrid drivers to use plug-in stations if their cars had this capability.

The results of this survey will provide valuable information for governments and green businesses that want to promote energy efficiency by developing recharging stations for electric vehicles.

If you drive a hybrid car, please help me by answering this survey. The survey takes less than five minutes and your answers are anonymous.

Visit the site below to fill out the survey:

You can also help by forwarding this email to friends and family that drive hybrids.

Thank you SO MUCH for your help. You participation in this research is APPRECIATED!

Best,

Mario Landau-Holdsworth

Reply to
Todd Liebergen

Here is a story about the solar-charged "hourcar" in Minneapolis. It may fit your thesis.

Was Istoben

Encountered a couple of problems with your survey:

  1. There is no "none of the above" choice in the question regarding where one would plug their Prius in when away from home.

  1. The decision to buy a plug-in Prius would, in my case at least, depend on the cost of the option. In other words, if it was a 5K option I'd buy it immediately but at 10K I'd not buy it in the foreseeable future.

Reply to
Was Istoben

I had the same problem - when I checked none of the boxes in question 11 it complained. I finally checked the "shopping center" box because it was the one that could occasionally be far enough from home to be of interest. I live within three miles of everything else on the list.

I also think there is a logistical problem with the concept of charging away from home. The entire reason for a hybrid as opposed to an EV is that recharging is of at most secondary importance. In practice, I doubt I would elect to recharge a plug-in hybrid away from home.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Yep. I also got the error when I didn't check any of those. Can't recall which one I picked in order to move on, but the problem will result in his collecting invalid data for his thesis. I would recharge my Prius when away from home but would probably do so the garage of a person I visit regularly.

A related problem I envision would be the PHEV's power cord. I'm aware of three different off-peak charging schemes, all of which involve hardware limitations. There are probably a dozen or more such schemes. In my case, the jack I would plug my car into would have to be powered through a relay controlled by my power company. Moreover, the jack would have to be sufficiently unique that I couldn't plug unqualified devices into it. Off-peak charging would be half the price in my case and of great benefit to my provider. Without a standard, however, we could both end up missing an opportunity. If there was a standard, the charging stations would have to comply.

Reply to
Was Istoben

As a retired person living in an apartment, I have no way to plug a hybrid in at home (which is where one would want one, certainly). Thereby, a plug-in hybrid would be useless to me.

Reply to
Peter Granzeau

"Consider the potential disadvantages to plugging-in described on the first page. . . . "

Ordinarily I approach polls with an open mind and overlook minor errors. But when the first question addresses an "essay" in the first page using the pejorative term "disadvantages," it has become not an information gathering poll but advocacy.

Since you claim to be students, perhaps your education might start with my poll about polling and my 'first page':

"A push poll is a political campaign technique in which an individual or organization attempts to influence or alter the view of respondents under the guise of conducting a poll. In a push poll, large numbers of respondents are contacted, and little or no effort is made to collect and analyze response data. Instead, the push poll is a form of telemarketing-based propaganda and rumor mongering, masquerading as a poll. . . ."

If you wanted a USENET review of your point of view about plug-ins, why did you not just post your "first page?" (1) unable to control responses (2) the first page essay is perfect and brooks no criticism (3) political science student planning a career in politics

Do a fixed set of answers in a poll constitute a discussion? (1) yes (2) definitly

Pick one, USENET poll invitees are: (1) dumb (2) stupid (3) unsophisticated (4) fools (5) dupes

Lewis & Clark teaches push polling: (1) agree (2) definitely

Bob Wilson

Reply to
Bob & Holly Wilson