Arnold Clark

Reading through the posts here I came across this URL:

Those who enjoy horror stories should not fail to look at that site - it has 100 pages, each with about 10 reports of experiences of dealing with that company.

Arnold Clark has over 20 different new car franchises and over 120 retail sites. Most are in Scotland, but dealerships south of the Border are gradually being bought-up or established. Some trade under the Arnold Clark name but it appears that others do not. Can anyone say, please, what other names this company trades under in England?

Reply to
DB.

The local Vauxhall dealership in my area (Northwich/Winsford in Cheshire) has been recently taken over by Arnold Clark. They still have the original name of 'Dane County' on the front of the dealership's two premises (0ne in Northwich and one in Winsford) but whether this will remain I don't know.

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

MacHarg Rennie & Lindsay

Strathford Motor Company

Strathfor (Ayrshire) Limited

All of the above are owned by one Mr John Arnold Clark.

I (wife actually) had the severe misfortune to buy a shed from him and then was told it was our fault.

He didn't reckon on me being the bastard that I am and got my back several times over.

Also managed to find out his mobile phone number and home address in the course of my dealings.

Reply to
Neil MacDonald

Dunno what he does dahn sahf, but up here in Bonny Scotland he has a reputation of being a real crook, for those in the know. Apparently started out with ringers, bad auction cars etc. made his money and went "legit" . Mate of mine started out as a panel beater with him, got sick of it, went into the biz himself, now worth a few mill. doing it the right way.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Those are names he trades under in Scotland, of course. He's been moving into Lancashire and the West Midlands, and now into Milton Keynes. I'm keen to know what names (other than AC) he trades under here so he can be avoided.

He's now *Sir* John Arnold Clark. He was knighted "for services to the Motor Industry and to the Scottish Community." (sic)

There are about 1000 horror stories at

from punters who'd like to do the same. If those stories are true it's amazing that the motor companies allow him to keep any of his dealerships. But I get the impression he's almost monopolised the car trade in Scotland.

Reply to
DB.

You're joking aren't you? My local (London) BMW lost their franchise after complaints to trading standards to be replaced by an equally bad one. Then a couple of years later by yet another (dunno why) and they are if anything worse. The *majority* of the motor trade is run by thieves - and it's time the government did something about it.

I'd at least consider voting for any party which had it in their manifesto.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To be honest I have personal horror stories about virtually every garage I've ever had dealings with. The whole motor trade stinks and good customer service is virtually none existent. The only happy garage/dearlership users are those motorists who know nothing about cars and just don't realise what a crap service they are getting.

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Arnold Clark ;-) My local Honda dealership is no longer Ryland(*) (who had a decent rep), but AC. I used to live in Scotland and it is fair to say there was more than a whiff of dodginess about them. I did once have a look around one showroom for a second car - seemed to be the sort of place where everything got a quick respray to look shiny, whether needed or not.

(*) Thinking of trying Gordon Lamb in Chesterfield, who offer reduced price servicing for older models. Anyone had any experience of them, please ?

Reply to
John Laird