420 Diesel Turbo Unit

Please help.
I have a 420SDi V reg. Before Christmas I noticed a lack of power while driving into work. After about 30 miles a large white cloud
appeared from the exhaust and seconds later the engine went full revs without me pressing the accellerator. I pulled onto the hard shoulder removed the keys and the engine stopped about 20 seconds later. As I was very close the motorway exit I wanted, i tried to start the car. All was fine for the first few hundred yards then the same again.
I was initially told it would be the head gasket probably about 500ish to fix, then it wasn't the head gasket but the fuel pump which would be 800 + VAT +Labour. Tried somewhere else they told me they suspected the oil pump, but wanted to stip part of the engine to check for any other damage. They have since done this, and I am now told the engine is in good condition but the turbo unit needs replaceing, probably 850ish all in.
I've had a quick loo on ebay, there are two on there for under 30! Am I being conned? Is there a lot of work involved in changing the turbo unit? How much should these cost?
Thanks in advance for any replies. He wants to know if he should order the part asap and I need my car back.
[...]
Try posting this to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Vheers Paul
[...]

Site Timeline