Rover 216 power steering problem

The power steerring on a Rover 216 isn't working, this is what happened... Started the car for the first time in 2 months, what appeared to be steam came out of the engine and the fanbelt squeeked. I put that down to being damp perhaps, all cleared up but now my battery light stays on and the power steering no longer works. Any idea what the problem could be? The battery seems ok as it started first time as usual but I wouldn't have thought a low battery would cause the power steering to fail.

Reply to
anacroplayer

Is the auxillary belt that drives the pump and alternator still in place and tight ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Reply to
anacroplayer

It's reinforced longitudinally ribbed rubber, about 2 cms wide. It's low down on the left-hand side of the engine and winds it's way around several pulleys one of which is the power steering pump and another the alternator. No not a big job.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Reply to