Rover 218SD was stalling now not starting

J plate rover 218SD , no major problems until last week , it has stalled on

3 occasions , just cut out while driving and wouldn't restart for a good ten minutes . Tonight it decided not to start at all. Not had a chance to look at it yet as it was too dark to work on it , so thought I would ask for ideas on where to start looking. At the moment I'm thinking fuel filter , but are there any 'known problems' that might give me an idea, Thanks, Mandie.
Reply to
mandieakazepher

Thanks for the suggestions , just got home and running late so have ran out of time to try out any ideas tonight , but I have a few things to go on now :-) It's the older type of filter , I remembered to prime it while bleed etc but totally forgot about the the tap at the bottom (doh) it was me who filled it last so it is definatly deisel in it , phew. I will also check the relay as the car has had quite a few electrical problems since I have got it , in fact around about the time the stalling started the tailgate open light kept staying on and setting the alarm off. Thanks for all the advice , I'll give the ideas a try and post back the results, Thanks, Mandie.

Reply to
mandieakazepher

I'd start with the crankcase sensor.

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

In message , "Mandie @k@ Zepher" writes

Diesels are pretty hard engines to stop, so I'm pretty sure your problem is fuel related. Is the fuel filter leaking? If it is leaking only a tiny amount, it will draw air into the system and cause mega running faults. Did the problem start after you'd filled the fuel tank? It may be bad/watery fuel. Did someone else fill the tank? It may have petrol in it... I have worked on countless cars that has had the wrong fuel added by someone who is unfamiliar with the vehicle.

Does the fuel filter look all rusty and old? It might be worth changing it, they aren't dear. If it looks new, try draining the water out of it by undoing the tap at the bottom and pumping the primer until pure diesel runs out.

Which fuel filter type is it? Is it the earlier type that sits in a remote housing, underneath an alloy block with a black priming knob on top? Or is it the later type that sits under 4 Allen key headed bolts near to the inlet manifold and has a black priming 'bulb' in the fuel line? It will probably be the earlier type and these priming buttons have been known to fail, and suck air in. I'd try a new one, or good second hand one if none of my other suggestions work.

Also, check the air cleaner isn't blocked and check the air inlet pipe behind your front bumper/headlamp (it runs up to the air filter housing) I have seen these blocked with road debris, carrier bags etc....

Oh, one last thing..... It has got fuel in it hasn't it? I was once baffled by a car that was out of fuel but the gauge was faulty and read half-full.....!

Reply to
Alan

I had a very similar problem although mine was on a 216GSi (petrol). Took me ages to trace this not to mention various parts replaced in the hope of finding a cure. Turned out to be the small relay just behind the centre console on the passenger side. cost me £10 from a scrap dealer and hasn't given me any problems since.

By the way, this problem was an ongoing one for years. Even had the distributer chip replaced twice by a greedy mechanic (no tarring of the brush intended). Used to drive it up the shop and it wouldn';t start for a while when i got back in.

Hope this helps you in some way or maybe someone else who's reading.

David

Reply to
David

|| Thanks for the suggestions , just got home and running late so have || ran out of time to try out any ideas tonight , but I have a few || things to go on now :-) || It's the older type of filter , I remembered to prime it while bleed || etc but totally forgot about the the tap at the bottom (doh) it was || me who filled it last so it is definatly deisel in it , phew. I will || also check the relay as the car has had quite a few electrical || problems since I have got it , in fact around about the time the || stalling started the tailgate open light kept staying on and setting || the alarm off. Thanks for all the advice , I'll give the ideas a try || and post back the results, || Thanks, || Mandie. || I would agree with the other comments it sounds like air somewhere A very common problem is the diaphragm in the filter head (for priming) it is the same as fitted to older peugots, citroens fiestas/escorts and over a period of time starts to go porous and draw air, which stops a diesel! over the years with various diesels I have lost count number I have changed! one way to check them is to put clear plastic tube between the filter and pump and look for air bubles, easy on a BX not quite as easy on a 418!

Reply to
Des