9-3 Aero 2006 rattle

I have a rattle from under the car/behind the engine that only rattles when I take my foot of the throttle. It sounds like a bangle round a pipe. It's not a lose exhaust clamp, or a loose heat sheild. Any idea's would be great . This has no effect on th performace.

Reply to
Popup

Ahh ... the joys of rattles.

Good luck with that ! Rather than something *round* a pipe it might be something inside it !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Perhaps it is a bangle around a pipe.

Reply to
Steve B.

Popup Mar 26, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Well... you *know* that if you take it to the dealer it won't happen, so that's it! Give it to the Service Mgr free and clear and it'll never occur again ... :)

Seriously though, if it was a C900, I'd probably be thinking harmonic balancer, but on yours...? I'd be like you and go mad trying to locate the problem, some of my workmates would just turn up the stereo until something broke! Cheers

-- Message posted using

information at

hippo

Popup Mar 26, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Sorry - hit enter too early!

Auto or Manual? In gear, in neutral, or both? Cheers

-- Message posted using

information at

hippo

Isn't it still under warranty (i.e. have the dealer fit it?)

Reply to
still just me

"hippo" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

More information at

Manual gear box, Parked on the drive rev it then as the revs come down rattles. The same when driving, just like a dump valve but a rattle.

Reply to
Popup

still just me wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Dealer looked under the car and found nothing, did not expect them to find anything if it cost's them money.

Reply to
Popup

How many miles?

Reply to
still just me

still just me wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have just completed 12000 miles, i have just also had the check oil warning on the SID, had to fill it up with 1 litre of oil, second time i have done this in 18 months. No oil left on drive over night. Is the Turbo burning to much and bumping the unburt into the cat and disolving the cat inside, hence my rattle ???

Reply to
Popup

I don't think it's possible to kill a cat that fast and cause it to actually rattle. But, I would report the oil situation to the dealer and insist on a full inspection. It doesn't matter if they find an oil leak (internal or external) but you want it on the record that you brought it in for excessive consumption.

Reply to
still just me

still just me wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks for the advice I will call them in the morning and book it in.

Reply to
Popup

Loose baffle?

Reply to
Clive Turnbull

That's what I did with my C900 :) I had the same noise and I got used to it. Then one day when I least expected it bang bang rattle bang rattle and then no noise, no alternator charge and no harmonic balancer :(

Reply to
.