97 900T SE V4 Timing belt or chain?...

Hi everyone,

I am pretty familiar with the classic 900, but I have a chance to buy a 1997 "new gen" 900 SE Turbo V4 with 76,000 miles. I know nothing about the innards of this car. What should I pay attention to and ask about when looking the car over? Anything specific to this car? Does it have a timing chain or a belt? TIA

Reply to
Muchospamo Nowanno

Muchospamo Nowanno wrote: :: Hi everyone, :: :: I am pretty familiar with the classic 900, but I have a chance to buy :: a 1997 "new gen" 900 SE Turbo V4 with 76,000 miles. I know nothing :: about the innards of this car. What should I pay attention to and :: ask about when looking the car over? Anything specific to this car? :: Does it have a timing chain or a belt? TIA

First of, it's not a V4, but an I4. And, it's got a chain.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

OOOps! Did I say V4? One too many glasses of wine. I4 it is. :)

Reply to
Muchospamo Nowanno

eh..... 900 turbo V4 .... ? did I miss something?

-------------- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96

MH

MH ( snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.no) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's going to be released for the 2005 model year - together with the 9^5 2- smoke....

Reply to
Adrian

Make sure it is a pure '97 and not one of the late 96's that has the cable clutch. That will definitely have to be replaced if it hasn't been already. If it has the hydraulic clutch, you should be OK. Make sure that the direct ignition casette checks out. Any concern about start-ups should be thought over. A new casette will cost you around $600. You shouldn't have to worry about the chain running from the cams to the camshaft. I've never heard of anyone replacing the chain in any NG900...Remember, of all the Saab parts to break, the engine will be the last.

Reply to
Chris M.