Do rusty wheel nuts need to be replaced?

I've noticed that, after this winter, all the wheel nuts on my Saab appear rusty. I have no steel rims for winter driving, just the original Saab alloys for my 9-5 ('04). Do I need to replace these wheel nuts for fear that they'll damage my alloy wheels, or is the only problem that they're unsightly?

How much should I expect to pay for a completely new set of wheel nuts? (20, I guess.)

Thanks!

-- Viktor Haag

Reply to
Viktor Haag

I've never bothered myself with other marquees, however, they do look scruffy and the Saab's nuts get rustier than others...

Reply to
DervMan

This seems to be a common cosmetic problem with 9-5 wheel bolts. Don't worry about them weakening. They will outlast the car. I resorted to painting them in situ on my significant other's car with a tiny brush. I touch them up each time the tires are rotated.

Reply to
R. Frist

just another example of GM cheapness - my 20 year old saab does not have rusty nuts :-) ohh

Reply to
john

The man _does_ have a point. Never had a problem with rusty lugnuts on my 93, my 95s, my 96s, or my Sonetts.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

aka chocolate salty balls. 8-)

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

What is rusty, then? :)

Reply to
DervMan

Nor I on my 21 year old Saab 900 Turbo with 250K miles (not as old as yours, I know). Again, Kudos to Saab...

-jw

Reply to
jw

Neither have I. On the 9^5 it's not the just the nuts (or rather the bolts) that rust very quickly, also the discs rust with a tremendous speed. Compared with my 9000 it seems to be a factor of 4-6 faster. GM quality?

Reply to
th