Hatch/boot lid gas struts

Hi,

The car is 9000 CSE, year 1997.

Winter is here and the gas struts holding up the hatch are showing their age. I got the usual broom handle in the car ;-)

Anyone used after market ones as replacements, e.g.

No idea of brand. I might want aftermarket ones if/when I get a price from SAAB for an original part but any thoughts are appreciated.

Many thanks Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

Charles I have PFS struts on my C900 Aero. They were getting tired and than I went and fitted a whale tail. Well I didn't, Aeromotive did. That was it, they refused to work at all, so I got the PFS ones about half the price of genuine Saab.

The weight of the whale tail means they don't lift the hatch so much as hold it in position, but it no longer closes like Madame guillotine!!

Al

Reply to
Al

in article vl_dh.75629$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Al at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 07/12/2006 19:56:

Me too ... I have a whaletail and I'm perfectly happy with the PFS struts on my C900.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Ah yes. I had two of those C900s and broom handles. If I remember correctly, on the early C900s the parcel shelf could hold the tail up.

Thanks for the tips. I will try one more local motor factor tomorrow and then on-line :-D

Regards Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

in article 45787b67$0$31233$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk, Charles C. at snipped-for-privacy@dundee.ac.uk wrote on 07/12/2006 20:36:

The parcel shelf kind of holds the boot up, but the combination of sagging springs and a whaletail can often overpower the catch.

Do you have a GSF nearby? I've had their struts before. They did hold the boot up (with a whaletail), but it would not rise unaided. In a pinch, they'd do ... Otherwise, yes, keep a broom handle with you :)

For anyone wondering WTF Al & I are blithering on about ...

PFS = Parts for SAABs

GSF = German, Swedish & French

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Yes, but it also has a mechanism to release the shelf if you push the tail down. That will also happen if the struts get tired. It's more like the tail holds the shelf up.

Reply to
MH

There's nowt like a good blither eh Paul ;-)

Al

Reply to
Al

Over here, we can get struts regassed. They stick them in a container and pump high pressure nitrogen into it from a cylinder.

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

in article 1C%dh.48557$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Al at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 07/12/2006 21:22:

'Aye. Beats nattering, any road :)