Oil Smells Like Gas and Is Thin

1985 900 8V (non-turbo) with 165.000 miles. I did an oil change a few months back. I checked my oil the other day and noticed an slight overfill. I thought that maybe I had done it accidently during that last change (but didn't really think so). So, a few days later, I checked it again. Now, it seemed to be even more overfilled. I noticed it also looked very thin, so I applied the nose test and found that it smelled very much of gasoline.

Apparently, significant amounts of gas are being washed into or leaking into the oil somewhere. I'm sure that if the oil gets too thin, my motor is toast. I will change the oil, but I also want to fix the cause of this problem.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

-- Christian

Save Darfur --

Vision (Darfur) --
(Sudan) --

Christian M. Mericle

Could be coming past the rings, or maybe valve guides. Not many other options. How's it running? Pull the plugs, see if they look OK, or if one is markedly different than the others?

Easist problem would be a misfiring plug, which would give you problems with how well the car runs. 165,000 is pretty young for worn rings or guides, though.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I've seen this caused by a ruptured diaphragm on mechanical fuel pump. If this car is carburetted, then it's definitely worth taking a look at the pump.

Reply to
Grunff

Ah yes, I forget about those since we didn't get carbs for long before that time.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

And of it's got injection, then it could be a leaking injector dribbling fuel in through an open inlet valve whilst the car's parked. Not sure if that applies to these particular engines though - do they have port injection?

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

It doesn't have any trouble starting. Motor sounds good and runs fine. It idles a little high and wants to die when the AC is on but it has done that for quite awhile and probably just needs a tune-up.

It doesn't smoke but does blow small amounts of black liquid from the tail pipe during/after initial startup.

-- Christian

Save Darfur --

Vision (Darfur) --
(Sudan) --

Christian M. Mericle

Electric fuel pump. Fuel injected.

-- Christian

Save Darfur --

Vision (Darfur) --
(Sudan) --

Christian M. Mericle

Pull the plugs & take a look.

That's probably water condensation with soot, yes?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Okay. It has been quite awhile since I've had them out. I only use my Saab to get back and forth to work so it chalks up only a small amount of miles each year.

That's what it looks like.

-- Christian

Save Darfur --

Vision (Darfur) --
(Sudan) --

Christian M. Mericle

Hmm, ok. I'm not convinced about the likelyhood of *lots* of fuel getting into the oil. As Dave said, pull the plugs, have a look, and tell us what they look like (or put a photo up somewhere and link to it).

Reply to
Grunff

Your cold start valve is bad. It is remaining open and allowing gasoline to flow into the intake. I am surpriised you could get it to run properly.

Reply to
darthpup