Saab got hurt!!!!

Thanks for all the advice. Only have one accident before, and that was in a no-fault state and 20 years ago. I have not yet been able to get information on the insurance company of the woman who hit me. She refused to show me an insurance card or show me a driver's license, although the police officer said she gave him the information. Her insurance company has not been in touch with me. It's not on the accient report that I picked up last week. Anyone involved in a wreck has to file a separate form with Tennessee state within 20 days, giving insurance info. You aren't required to present proof of insurance to get a license or a tag in Tennessee. However, you do have to be able to prove "financial responsibilty" if asked to produce insurance. The whole thing is pretty confusing and not helped by the fact that my insurance agent is in Georgia. I've faxed my agent the information I got and she should handle the negotiations for recovering the money from the other party. I do have very good insurance. Includes rental car, uninsured and underinsured motorists, etc. Even covers my medical expenses if I'm hit by a car while crossing a street. It's a small company that just operates in the Southeast. Rates have been excellent and I've been with them for 13 years. I hope that will work in my favor.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

I think the police report is public knowledge. That is, you can request a copy of any information the police have. Certainly it would be available for a court case to an attorney as part of discovery. Call the police and ask them for it. I also believe that it's illegal to refuse to identify yourself to the other driver when property damage is involved - but I don't live in TN. Laws vary.

Just remember that in most states, it's better to collect from the other person's insurance company than from yours. In some states, your company will pay you and go after the other company but the rules vary quite a bit. Some places used independent adjusters and the two companies will accept the adjusters statement as is. Other states have company based adjusters who will argue the damage. I'm sure you'll be well versed in the intricate details before you're done. Also, in most states you can sue the person who hit you no matter what - that is, you can bring a suit against the person and let them get their insurance company involved. But again, laws vary.

Reply to
- Bob -

I've been following this thread with a foreigner's interest: ie, I don't expect the law in USA.TN to fit perfectly with the UK's.

Still, I do wonder why nobody suggests recovery from the one who caused the accident of whatever part of the damage is not covered by insurance. Is there a plain answer (beyond "not practical") ?

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

All you will ever get as a payout from either insurance company or through the courts is the full street value of the car. If the repairs cost more than this, then it's up to the owner to make the decision whether it is worth paying the extra. This applies to both UK and US.

Reply to
Grunff

To some extent, anyway. Arguments could be made for the repair of the car if you can represent that it has some unique value/feature beyond what you can find in any dealer's lot. An attorney could stretch that to simply be "a car you drove since new with a known repair history".

Keep in mind that the insurance company is _not_ on your side. They want to minimize their payout. That includes "your" company and the other driver's and includes time as well as monetary expenses. So, you'll often see your company ready to "settle" the claim for and offer that's less than perfect for you. They'll settle, refuse to go to court, try to flex their muscles, etc. As I've said before - you have to check local laws and find out every detail if you want to avoid getting sold down the river (by a company that you've been paying for years with no return :-)

Reply to
- Bob -

[snip]

And another tidbit for those living in California: If you sign over the totalled vehicle's title to the insurance company, make certain the company files the title transfer. The State of California will continue to bill you for the license and fees with threats of substantial penalties for non-payment even though the vehicle no longer exists and/or owned by your. CalDMV told me that non-existence of the vehicle is not a sufficient excuse for non-payment of the taxes and fees! Until they have the paperwork and have processed it, you're the "owner" and they want their money and they want it NOW.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

hi

This type of accident has written-off two of our Saab's over the years.

Once you get over missing the vehicle if it goes - buy another Saab ready for the next non-looking driver.

Cheers

Dave A

Reply to
kajka

And if they're being particularly difficult you can always start complaining of back or neck injuries, often that'll get the insurance company nervous enough to try to settle it as fast as they can.

Reply to
James Sweet