2005 Saturn Ion Check Engine Light Problems

I've had my check engine light come on in my car a minimum of 6 times, twice to the dealership, other times it just went out. Two times it didn't, it choked and choked and would barely run, and smelled strongly of sulfur, the first time they reset my computer, the second time changed a few sensors and am still having problems with the light. This car doesn't even have 13,000 miles on it, the times that it goes away and runs ok are fine, I'm just worried about the times it doesn't go out and the smell, and the choking and it barely runs, anybody else having a problem with this. I'm doing a Smart Buy on this car and was considering buying it when I was done since the miles were so low, but once it's out of warranty don't want to be running 60 minutes away and paying a fortune to have it worked on. Can anyone advise?

Reply to
BeckyFrums

I am having more or less the same problem with my 97 SL1. I thought it was a bad tank of gas causing the rough running, but now the engine light has come on and not gone out. The light would go out for a day or so, come on intermittently then go out. Like yours it would run rough and then clear up. Only upside of it now is it seems to be running fine except the gas mileage has dropped some. I have pulled and cleaned the o2 sensor, but that did not help as it had in the past. I may take it down and have the codes read somewhere if I can find a place that does it reasonably. Good luck, MR

Reply to
mrichards

Here's an idea... GIVE US THE CODE(S)! We have no idea what sensors you changed either...

No idea how you're cleaning it without damaging it.

Uh, dont know where you are but parts stores like AUTOZONE, ADVANCEAUTOPARTS/PARTSAMERICA will read them for you for free.

Reply to
BläBlä

Cleaned it with Scotchbrite, no solvent. It was fairly clean and not sooted up.

Right on BB. Stopped by Advance Auto and the guy said they read them for free. But, as luck would have it, the light went out and has not come back on since. Rumor has it that a stuck or malfunctioning egr valve can have an effect on gas mileage and cause light to come on. What is your take on this? Thanks a bunch, MR

Reply to
mrichards

Ineffective. I suggest you look and see if you can find a deal on one on ebay and replace it.

You can still get it. It should be stored in code history now.

Reply to
BläBlä

Thanks for the info. I'll probably head on down there since my wife came in last night and said the light had come back on and engine was running crappy. MR

Reply to
mrichards

i see that you posted this a long time ago but i thought id let you kno

just n case that your problem is either in your body control modul which will cost about $400 or the power control module which is about $1200 dollar problem, or at least thats what saturn has told m

-- mason42

this thread:

mason420