37 Coupe Express

I am restoring a 37 CE, and have a rusted out bed. No problem, I got another nice one. Here's the question. This one HAD, on it, under the tailgate, a little 3 x 4" metal plaque with what I think were the words "1/2 TON". It was screwed on. Well, in shipping it home, the plaque came off. I did not have one on the original bed, nor are there holes for the small screws that held in the now missing one. Was it usual or unusual? Does anyone have a picture of one? Thanks for the time. Best, Don

Reply to
DrDon

I would assume the 1/2 tn plate was an add-on. Mine never had such and I have never seen it on any other example. Barry'd in Studes

Reply to
Barry

I have a couple of beds, and have played with and around about a dozen '37 J5's and have never seen a plaque like that. Perhaps it was a state requirement, and because the stock license plate was hung out on a stalk on the LH side, the plaque was screwed on to the bed itself. Unusual? Yes. Correct? Can't say for sure. Good question for the Antique Studebaker Club guys. Jeff

Reply to
DEEPNHOCK