56J destroyed

Sold a 56 Golden Hawk to a fellow in England a few years back and it was badly damaged in the shipping container. It got worse when the restoration shop it was at burned to the ground:

"John - Hi,

You may have already heard from Nate regarding the disaster that occurred here, in the Uk, last Friday..

This is what has happened to my car this last weekend... when I was out of town for the weekend.. not that I could have done much anyway.

If you go to these link pages.. you get the gist of the news..

My current priority is to get all my paperwork together asap for the restoration company's very substantial insurance claim. But oh, does UGH sit in the throat!!

If you also go to this link page, you can see how far work had progressed before the disaster..

I guess once the insurance has been agreed and paid out, I can then decide what I want to do next.

Best wishes Richard Atkinson"

Reply to
John Poulos

JP,

I have a CD by the rock group Portishead (the town of which is mentioned in the news release.) It was made during their visit to NYC.

How's that for a remote Studebaker connection?

I don't know the chap who owned the car. I'm sure that it wouldn't have happened if he had joined the SDC Chapter there.

Karl

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
midlant

John,

Was this Nate's "old" 56J?? I sure hope not.....................

Paul

Reply to
R1Lark

It was.

R1Lark wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Below is the email I got from the owner. I recently sold him the correct engine for it, since he bought the car with an incorrect '55 Packard 320 in it. I hope he had some most of the parts he purchased stored at his home, & not at the shop. I know the engine & trans I sold him were in the shop, though, as he states here. BH

Hello Barry,

This is what has happened to my car this last weekend... when I was out of town for the weekend.. not that I could have done much anyway.

If you go to these link pages.. you get the gist of the news..

My current priority is to get all my paperwork together asap for the restoration company's very substantial insurance claim. But oh, does UGH sit in the throat!!

I had collected many, many parts for the car's restoration. The engine, trans and leaf springs were all in the shop at the time...nothing can be saved, such was the heat's intensity.

Best wishes Richard Atkinson

Reply to
Barry

Reply to
mbstude

I downloaded the pix of the cars restoration before the fire here:

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

I wish I hadn't looked at those pics... he was actually doing a hell of a job with that car before this happened. Also the WCFB that was on the car when I sold it to him ran perfect and I'm sure it's destroyed. Was a solid body too but I'm guessing as bad as that fire was that it is all warped and unsalvageable.

Did I mention that I wish I hadn't looked at the pics?

nate

Reply to
N8N

Reply to
mbstude

eh, not really. He was doing a better job than I would have with the bodywork. It's just a shame the story ended the way it did :(

What REALLY hacks me off is the Shaffer aluminum flywheel that I apparently had and didn't know about it until I'd sold all my stuff to JP! D'OH! It was hung off the back of a 352 with dual quads, probably ought to have dropped that in, bet it would have flown.

nate

mbstude wrote:

Reply to
N8N

Shipping an engine overseas is no problem. I simply dropped it off at a freight co. a couple of miles from my place, & they crated it up & put it on a boat.

Reply to
Barry