63 R2 Carburator

What CFM carburator works best on a 63 R2 Avanti? Allen

Reply to
satdoc2 via CarKB.com

CarKB.comhttp://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/studebaker/200710/1 cannot speak to the 289 Studebaker, but I remember an article (Road and Track) or (Car and Driver) where they took a late sixties larger V-8 and put on the the entire line of both Holley and Carter carbs from "anemic" 6 cylinder to one 1000 cfm. They used a dyno facility to tune and adjust the jets/ports/needles and "rung her out!"

Conclusion was that the simple calculation of inch3 and RPM got you the top of what you could ever need, and the best results were in carbs that were 15 - 20 percent "underflow."

Yesterday, I saw an article about K2 air filters that, using K2's own formula proved that the stock paper filter let in too much air in, and thus there was no need to such in all the dirt that K2s allow to pass in order to get the "right" air flow.

I will attempt to find it again, and run the numbers on the 289 and post it here.

I also am very interested if anyone has dynometer before/after readings on their Stude carb work.

cheers!

Reply to
63Avanti

CarKB.comhttp://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/studebaker/200710/1>

change K2 to K&N, it will read like an auto article....

Reply to
63Avanti

Sometime if you want to talk about air filters, let me know.... K&N has some issues that buyers should be aware of. (ever read their instructions, let alone follow them?) Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Nope... I have removed a few and replaced them with pleated paper however.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel