Avanti serial plate

I'm replacing the rusted frame on my Avanti and want to put the original serial plate on the new frame. But the rivets holding the plate seem very hard, and the drill just bounces off, even with a cobalt bit. Any secret to removing it, or should I just find a new plate and have it engraved?

Bob Porter

63 R2
Reply to
reporter

Center punch it first?

Can you hack the frame around it and grind off the rivets from the back?

Those nice 3 1/2 inch abrasive cut off wheels work great even in a drill.

Mark (MASTER OF DESTRUCTION) Dunning

Reply to
markshere2