Do I want these or fiberglass?

"

HAWKS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42611QQitemZ140097358942QQrdZ1"

Do I want these for my '64 Hawk with virtually no front floor or the fiberglass? In other words, which will be easier for a novice to install ?

TIA

John

Reply to
johnnywiffer

John, IMHO you'll need at least some floor structure in order to utilize the fiberglass method. I'm not sure which vendor these particular panels are from. I'd suggest getting references from someone that has personal experience installing this particular vendors panels.. Its common knowledge that alot of the replacement panels that are being supplied don't fit without some "massaging". I'd say that floor replacement would be left to the serious hobbiest or professional you'll need some welding and metal working skills. Russ

Reply to
rustynutgarage

I have tried it both ways. I reccomend metal. Welding is preferred but screws and pop rivets will work. you may want to use some bondo or something to seal the edges. NT

Reply to
nthornton

The best of both worlds is a patch made of metal, screwed into place, then several layers of fiberglass laid over it. You can lap the glass as far over the good metal as you want to and extend it up the pillars and sides a couple of inches. After you get the metal in place, jack the car up and look to the bottom. Chisel off any sharp things hanging down and figure out how you want to seal the bottom of the patch.

Do not use bondo. It attracts,holds and wicks water. There are lotsa undercoating options as well as thick fiberglass jelly. Be aware that working resin upside down is a messy bitch of a job. Learn on the top first.

No rocket science, just a chance to learn new metal working and fiberglass skills.

Use lotsa ventilation, old clothes, latex gloves, disposable paint brushes and patience.

Go read more about laying multiple layers of glass than just this post.

This advice is worth what you have paid for it........

Mark

Reply to
markshere2

something like seam sealer?

Reply to
oldcarfart

The above is worth repeating... use seam sealer or some sort of non- porous filler; DO NOT USE BONDO (or any similar polyester filler)

nate

Reply to
N8N

the ease and fumes will win you over