feeler: anyone got a trans for me?

I'd thought about doing this for a while, but the sheer amount of parts needed discouraged me from actually actively pursuing it. Well I picked up enough stuff at Reedsville that it now looks like a possibility. I'm thinking of maybe putting a T-85/OD in my '55 coupe in place of the T-10 that is in there now, in the interest of more relaxed cruising and "vintage cool."

The biggest piece I don't have is the T-85 itself, need a short tail version. I also don't have the frame crossmember for the center driveshaft bearing, the shift rods, or the kickdown switch and wiring. (I have a possible line on the x-member.)

I did find a T-96 from a '57 Prez for $75 (I still have the guy's card if anyone wants it, he's in Bellville PA near Reedsville) but I'm thinking that with a R-1 and being always open to the option of increasing power if I can that I probably want a T-85.

I know that a '57 GH or Prez Classic (I think?) would have the trans I want, as well as some V-8 trucks, any other sources? Would a Commander six in a truck have the same trans?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I don't think the Commander six truck 3spd/od would be a good choice for a car application. I believe (and I may be wrong) that most of those had straight cut gears and thus not as plesant shifting as the T-85 out of a car.

Joe Roberts

Reply to
itraseecab

Reply to
Transtar60

Yup, I have the correct two piece driveshaft and a line on a properly removed x-member. these were the items that made me originally think that the T-85 was impractical.

nate

Transtar60 wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The straight cut gears are indeed from a truck and there is a gap between 1st and 2nd that is better suited for the truck than the car. Ford and Mercury of the same era up to the 60's used the T-85. What you would have to do is change the imput shaft to the studebaker. The shafts do show up from time to time.

!947 to 1957 Commanders all used the same transmission, a T-86 short shaft. There is no difference between the 6 and V8 in that case. The gear ratio is much more user friendly with the passenger car instead of the truck. Any 55-56 Nash or Hudson V8 application would also use the T-85, as well as the 55-56 Packard Clipper.

Bob Miles Tucson AZ

Reply to
bob m

Nate,

I just cruised over to the unoffical studebaker drivers club site.

Here is what I found on this ad: For Sale For Sale: Stude Parts snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

michigan

For Sale:

T86 Long Tailshaft Transmission with Overdrive, out of running driving car, with solonoid, $150

T85 Short Tailshaft Transmission with Overdrive, $75

NOS T96 short tailshaft transmission with tailshaft,fits pre 1957 champions, $150

1961 OHV Six engine, with matching manual trans bellhousing, out of running 40k mile car, good head, $150

NOS carb rebuild kit for Carter 'AS'carbs as used on 59-62 lark sixes, $10

Hawk bucket seat mounting center adapter plate, $20

53 & 54 Coupe Radiator shrouds, $20 each

63/64 GT Hawk lower side grill assemblies with inserts and turn signal lights, pair $35

One Disk Brake wheel, $25

Tags & paperwork from an original R1 1963 GT, make your clone worth more, $400

Body Tag from 1957 Golden Hawk, $25

Small Items I will ship, Large stuff I will store for free up to six months once paid for or I can deliver free to South Bend Swap Meet next spring.

Ad Number: 3617 Date Added: 2007-11-13 21:42:52

Email the guy and snag that T-85.

Bob Miles Tucson AZ

Reply to
bob m

Would the input shaft be the same as a T-10? I know the bearing retainer is...

thanks,

nate

(actually had a Packard T-85, and sold it... d'oh!)

Reply to
N8N

According to this website, Ford used T-85/T89's in their trucks till 1972.

Reply to
Transtar60