GPS O.T.

Thanks to Lee and Jeff for the lead on a budget GPS. Microsoft Streets and Trails with the GPS antenna for $64.95 on Ebay. Within 10 minutes
knew where my couch was and how fast it was not moving.<g>
--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com

Friggin' cool, ain't it?????

I gotta get one. Then I can lay on my couch - it might be moving. Quake or landslide - who knows. We left the old place when the speed of the pencil rolling across the dining room table increased over that we were used to!
Karl
John Poulos wrote:

I have the DeLorme system, but I also got with my computer the Microsoft Streets program, no matter who I ask nobody knows who makes or where to get the GPS antenna and the interface for the Microsoft program.
Any help would be appreciated, as I do not like the way DeLorme works, and they make too many changes every year.
Bill
I could not find the antenna by itself, just with the 3 CD software bundle.
Bill Glass wrote:

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
I have a Navman USB gps for my laptop. Might try their website... Jeff (or a Bass Pro shop) Rice
"Bill Glass" wrote...

Heck, I thought you got the one with the Streets and Trips package.
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:50:07 GMT, "Jeff Rice"

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62
Naw.. I got mine a long time before they offered it in a package... I had to go to the Navman website and download the XP USB software, and then magically, the MS Streets and Trips software 'came alive'. Too cool. If I had it to do over again right now, it would be exactly what you'ze guys did. Get the whole shebang and just drive.... As a related note, I delivered the 'glass fenders for the recently sold '59 Lark wagon for Calvin to Kennesaw, Georgia. The directions were being dictated to me when I said, "You are on the rhs of the street aren't you?" Silence... "I'll see you in 4 hours"... When I pulled into the driveway, all they wanted to see was the laptop.. <lol> It is very handy software indeed.. Jeff (still lost, but now I know where I am lost <g>) Rice
"Lee" wrote...

I've got a Garmin eMap that I like, but wonder how much more I'd like a 14" color screen that I can reprogram on the spot. Does the Microsoft software recalculate routes if you miss a turn? My eMap doesn't, but a couple friends of mine have $700 GPS units that do.
I just spent $70 to upgrade my Garmin proprietary memory card so I can have a map of every street name, ATM, bar, school, gas station, etc. in NC, SC, ND and every where on a route from SC to ND... just wondering if money would have been better spent buying a laptop GPS system.
Lee

No, and no.. THE MS Streets and Trips is a one shot piece of software. You think Bill Gates is going to make an easy update? Ha! Every year, the new version comes out (look for MS Streets and Trips 2006 soon..at a store near you!) And no... You can drive off the green line real easy, and there is no warning or recalculation. I tend to look at it occasionally and click on the nearest exit (marked with a dot) and then stuff it in sequence and recalculate. Also a pestering thing is the re-centering, and map size change that occurs when you least expect it. Like when you are in town looking for that turn a half block up and the map suddenly shifts to a statewide mode. You go 'Uh oh' and start hitting the zoom in button and take your eyes off that city Porsche in front of you and that idjit downshifts instead of stepping on the brakes, so you never saw his brakelights ('cause they weren't on) and you have to slam on the brakes to keep from crushing his little bug car and all your manifolds stored inside so they won't get wet go sloshing around in the back seat threatening to jump into the front seat with you to say 'Hi'....... Other than that, it's neat software <lol> Jeff ( Poor Nate..Ask the man who owns a Porsche..) Rice
"Lee Aanderud" wrote...

Just like cell phones, a GPS can be distracting. A great tool, but best to have a towel over it unless you are stopped <g>. Hard to complain about the soccer mom chatting away on the phone and not noticing that her Expedition has just run over a Civic while we are busy fiddling with a new feature on our GPS and blowing a stop sign.
Lots of horror stories about the use of a GPS in general aviation. They are so complex and have so many features that the cockpit workload can actually go up when shooting an instrument approach with one when compared to the use of simpler, ground based navigation equipment. They also have tempted rookie instrument pilots to launch into instrument meteorological conditions when they really shouldn't ("my GPS will save me if I get into trouble"). Also, pilots become so reliant on the GPS that when it goes black, they are in a heap of shit since they have forgotten all they know about pilotage, dead reckoning, charts, the use of VOR's, requesting a DF steer from ATC, etc.
-Dick- (just jealous 'cause I don't have one <g>)
Jeff Rice wrote:

I bought a Garmin 2620 in December. This unit is self contained, plugs into the 12 volt port of any vehicle, and speaks to me as I approach turns along the route. You generally don't need to view the unit at all when navigating. Dick S is right about the temptation to fiddle with it while driving. If you program it while parked (or have the passenger do it) it's a great tool. A friend who flies into cities to conduct seminars tells me the best thing about GPS is the freedom to simply wander in strange territory. When he has been driving in unfamiliar territory and wants to return to his hotel, he simply programs the address into the unit, and it takes him home. This allows him to explore without having to worry about remembering his route back to the hotel.

I have one of the Garmin Legend Etrex units. I just came back last week from York the long way. I drove down the Delmarva Pennisula to Virginia Beach and then headed cross country from there. I got to see a lot that I would have missed on the expressways. However, if it were not for that GPS I would probably still be trying to find my way out of WV. <G>

Kind of a neat deal with the Streets and Trips deal is the GPS trail you can create.... It will tell you everywhere you have been since hitting the button.
I used it heading out to the bar the other night... Kind of like an electronic bread crumb trail <G>
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:19:21 -0800, "The Other Dave"

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62
Hmmmmmmm I have not had it resize on me..... That is interesting Jeff.
I do like the 'recalculate from current position' button and it seems to work OK for me.
Hell, the new Streets and Trips software is a lot cheaper than GPS updates too...
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:42:37 GMT, "Jeff Rice"

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62
Well, I am running the 2004 version, so it may be better in the newer version... Dunno fer sure.. Jeff
"Lee" wrote...

Next time we meet, I would like to compare the two.
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:13:26 GMT, "Jeff Rice"

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62
I've used that line in strip bars before... Jeff (sometimes it works....for a $20 lap dance <lol>) Rice
"Lee" wrote..

Yes, the money would have been better spent on the MS set-up. It has the schools, bars, restaurants, gas stations, stores, ATM's, etc. etc. etc...
While it does not 'automatcially' recalculate, you just hit the recalculate from current position button and it is done in 4 seconds.
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:10:42 -0500, "Lee Aanderud"

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Site Timeline