GPS O.T.

Thanks to Lee and Jeff for the lead on a budget GPS. Microsoft Streets and Trails with the GPS antenna for $64.95 on Ebay. Within 10 minutes knew where my couch was and how fast it was not moving.

Reply to
John Poulos

And how high you were, too! Jeff (off the floor?) Rice

"John Poulos" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Friggin' cool, ain't it?????

Reply to
Lee

I gotta get one. Then I can lay on my couch - it might be moving. Quake or landslide - who knows. We left the old place when the speed of the pencil rolling across the dining room table increased over that we were used to!

Karl

Reply to
midlant

I have the DeLorme system, but I also got with my computer the Microsoft Streets program, no matter who I ask nobody knows who makes or where to get the GPS antenna and the interface for the Microsoft program.

Any help would be appreciated, as I do not like the way DeLorme works, and they make too many changes every year.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Glass

Reply to
John Poulos

I have a Navman USB gps for my laptop. Might try their website... Jeff (or a Bass Pro shop) Rice

"Bill Glass" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Bill,

If it were me, I'd just buy the complete package and be d>John Poulos wrote:

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

Naw.. I got mine a long time before they offered it in a package... I had to go to the Navman website and download the XP USB software, and then magically, the MS Streets and Trips software 'came alive'. Too cool. If I had it to do over again right now, it would be exactly what you'ze guys did. Get the whole shebang and just drive.... As a related note, I delivered the 'glass fenders for the recently sold '59 Lark wagon for Calvin to Kennesaw, Georgia. The directions were being dictated to me when I said, "You are on the rhs of the street aren't you?" Silence... "I'll see you in 4 hours"... When I pulled into the driveway, all they wanted to see was the laptop..

It is very handy software indeed.. Jeff (still lost, but now I know where I am lost ) Rice

"Lee" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Heck, I thought you got the one with the Streets and Trips package.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

I've got a Garmin eMap that I like, but wonder how much more I'd like a 14" color screen that I can reprogram on the spot. Does the Microsoft software recalculate routes if you miss a turn? My eMap doesn't, but a couple friends of mine have $700 GPS units that do.

I just spent $70 to upgrade my Garmin proprietary memory card so I can have a map of every street name, ATM, bar, school, gas station, etc. in NC, SC, ND and every where on a route from SC to ND... just wondering if money would have been better spent buying a laptop GPS system.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

I had a guy driving up from Iowa to pick up some parts one weekend and I asked if he needed directions.He said no,he had looked up my address on the 'net and a few hours later he showed up.Kinda freaky.I dont really care to have access that easy and moved most of my parts off site..Anyone do the Google test? Type in your phone number and hit enter.At least you can do a delete off about 7 phone search sites.

Bob40

Reply to
bob40

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Just like cell phones, a GPS can be distracting. A great tool, but best to have a towel over it unless you are stopped . Hard to complain about the soccer mom chatting away on the phone and not noticing that her Expedition has just run over a Civic while we are busy fiddling with a new feature on our GPS and blowing a stop sign.

Lots of horror stories about the use of a GPS in general aviation. They are so complex and have so many features that the cockpit workload can actually go up when shooting an instrument approach with one when compared to the use of simpler, ground based navigation equipment. They also have tempted rookie instrument pilots to launch into instrument meteorological conditions when they really shouldn't ("my GPS will save me if I get into trouble"). Also, pilots become so reliant on the GPS that when it goes black, they are in a heap of shit since they have forgotten all they know about pilotage, dead reckoning, charts, the use of VOR's, requesting a DF steer from ATC, etc.

-Dick- (just jealous 'cause I don't have one )

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Dick Steinkamp

I bought a Garmin 2620 in December. This unit is self contained, plugs into the 12 volt port of any vehicle, and speaks to me as I approach turns along the route. You generally don't need to view the unit at all when navigating. Dick S is right about the temptation to fiddle with it while driving. If you program it while parked (or have the passenger do it) it's a great tool. A friend who flies into cities to conduct seminars tells me the best thing about GPS is the freedom to simply wander in strange territory. When he has been driving in unfamiliar territory and wants to return to his hotel, he simply programs the address into the unit, and it takes him home. This allows him to explore without having to worry about remembering his route back to the hotel.

Reply to
The Other Dave

I have one of the Garmin Legend Etrex units. I just came back last week from York the long way. I drove down the Delmarva Pennisula to Virginia Beach and then headed cross country from there. I got to see a lot that I would have missed on the expressways. However, if it were not for that GPS I would probably still be trying to find my way out of WV.

Reply to
Mike Williams

Well, I am running the 2004 version, so it may be better in the newer version... Dunno fer sure.. Jeff

"Lee" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Yes, the money would have been better spent on the MS set-up. It has the schools, bars, restaurants, gas stations, stores, ATM's, etc. etc. etc...

While it does not 'automatcially' recalculate, you just hit the recalculate from current positi>I've got a Garmin eMap that I like, but wonder how much more I'd like a 14"

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

Hmmmmmmm I have not had it resize on me..... That is interesting Jeff.

I do like the 'recalculate from current position' button and it seems to work OK for me.

Hell, the new Streets and Trips software is a lot cheaper than GPS updates too...

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

I've used that line in strip bars before... Jeff (sometimes it works....for a $20 lap dance ) Rice

"Lee" wrote..

Reply to
Jeff Rice