Hurst floor shifter in T-cab

Was looking thru the new Summit Racing catalog and on page 375 saw this universal floor shifter from Hurst. Since I've never been happy with the sometimes-binding of the column shifting T85-OD from my cobbled together job, I decided to get this shifter and finished the install today. It shifts SO smoothly and required two gentle bends around the solenoid and just a little trimming. The shifter was less than $100 shipping and all. Summit gets it to my door almost as fast as Chuck Collins!

Reply to
TomNoller

Which one was it Tom???

Reply to
Transtar60

Their part number HUU-5010016 for $85.88 and about $10 more for shipping.

TomNoller

Nobody and I mean nobody ships as fast as Chuck Collins!! I happen to have it on good authority that he has some pretty good help!!!

Reply to
rustynutgarage

I think that he has physics employed as I have had items delivered when I was only thinkin' of ordering such...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Yes the Hurst shifter works well. I put one in my 65 18 years ago and it still works great. THe only problem is with gthe mainn bilt that holds the shifter in place. That bolt is a grade five and it will eventually strip out on you as it did to me.

I tried a Sparkamatic shifter in the 54 and it did not last. The selector pins are made of to mild a streel and wear rappidly. I still have it in the wagon but I converted it into two sticks. One stick for first and reverse and one stick for second and third.

Reply to
Studebaker Kid

I know Chuck is good, but if I call Jon Myer before 4:30pm, I get the item the next afternoon by UPS ground. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

I have the same one Tom and couldnt figure out how to use the kits mounting parts to attach it. I still havent installed it in the truck. I welded up a mounting bracket that raises the shifter up above the solenoid and attaches to bolts holding the OD to the main case. It seems you found a better way. Any way to get pic's of it or tips on how you did it.

Reply to
Transtar60

Thanks Studebaker Kid! While everything was still accessable, I replaced that main bolt with a grade 8 of the same size.

Reply to
TomNoller

I can take my digital camera to the folks the next time I go but using the supplied brackets is not a great challenge. I used the main plate that the shifter mounts to " in my case it had two tabs on it an the top tab was the perfect fit to mount to one of the top transmission bolt" and one of the larger brackets and crossed it over on the top to a bell housing bolt. I think I also used a short angle bracket and braced it into transmission at the extension housing. I worked well and I did not have braceing any place close to the solinoid

After a few years my OD engagement cable broke so I welded up a short shifter rod for that too.

One thing that you have to remember is that Hurst makes two of these shifters but they are basically the same unit except for the bolt on shifter its self. The car model usually has a cromed shifter that is made out of plate steel with a short rod at the top and the one in my

65 is stamped Daytona.

The truck version has a much longer chromed steel rod since in the truck you sit a bit higher the rod has to be longer.

Reply to
Studebaker Kid