Missing the good old days......OT (sigh)

Speaking of today's candidates, back in Abe Lincoln's day, a member of his cabinet would have to take an enormous cut in pay to take on the government job. In fact, one of them nearly went bankrupt for the privilege of serving his nation. Therein lies the rub. How many think of themselves as 'servants' of the people nowadays?

Sorry, I didn't mean to butt in on this with actual political talk. But if any of you are interested in a great book describing the politics of Lincoln's cabinet during the Civil War, I totally recommend reading 'Team of Rivals' by Doris Kearns Goodwin. It won the Pulitzer. It shows the personalities, their backgrounds, their politics, and their times in vivid and warm detail. After I put the book down, my immediate question was, 'Where did such people go?' That would be the topic of another book for someone.

Anyway, I'm now off this off-topic. Just wanted to mention this little bit.

Best, JoeH.

Reply to
JoeH

Snip

Reply to
John Poulos

snip

Doesn't the river that flows through it go in the "wrong" direction??

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

You guys are killing me! :) I thought Richard's original post was on target and agreed. I used to be on here daily (mostly lurking, as I don't have anything to add technically about studes, just drive one). I stopped long ago, as it is so very different from 10 years ago when I first checked it out. But it when I began reading a few of the responses, this whole post went right to exactly what Richard was saying he was sick of........kinda funny,,,,but really not as it's all so divisive and not Stude realted. Nothing wrong with talking polictics, religion, etc....but I used to visit a group established for such topics when I wanted to discuss such. Not to say I've never been sucked into a few of the O.T. threads, but soon came to realize, it was making not like some folks I'd never even met and I don't believe it's good idea to form your opinion of a person from behind a keyboard. yep, the NG was much better in the ol' days, and even back then, I bet all the folks participating has varying political/religious ideas....they just didn't feel the need to convince everyone else who drives a Stude to agree with 'em. So, not that any of you would even notice if I was here or not, I don't often even lurk anymore cuz I don't have the patience to wade thru all the bull. And several of the folks I enjoyed most have given it up! But I'm very glad that I was here daily for a while, cuz Danny & I have made some great friends only because of this place....therefore, it's not all bad, it's just currently on the down-swing. I will continue to lurk occassionally, and hope some day to see the NG swing back to the fun place it used to be. In the meantime, have at it boys!

and now ON TOPIC, danny's about got my Champ ready to travel to South Bend next week after it's long winter nap! Can't wait to see those of you who will be there!!!

have a great weekend all! mel

Reply to
Mel

(snipped from previous post):

WTH does South Bend have to do with anything?

STUDEBAKERS! thank God!

Reply to
Mel

That's exactly what I am saying Mel. You want to bash someone's religion, race, sexual-orientation, politics, etc. There are plenty of places on the web you can do that. Why do it here. And frankly, this idea that Pat, JP, and Alex are on the defensive on here is mind boggling to me. If they were serious about it, they would would say, "I won't bash anyone's politics on here untill someone bashes mine." like I have said.

Richard Lawler

'57 1/2 ton Transtar '51 2dr Champion

Reply to
Richard Lawler

Read this OT stuff just blows me away...Boy do the opinions fly...I had to say you come close in your views Jeff and you do it with class...Right on...

Gas here is down to $ 119.9/litre today...4.5 litres makes a Canadian gal...Just to cloud the issue some...

Lansing

snipped a lot>>>>>>>>>>>>

Reply to
ConcreteGuy

(And if you left this NG completely.... How did you read this? Just curious ) Personalities aside, I find all of the forums have their charm, and their detractors. The detractors seem to move around a bit, just as in real life. Happiness is wherever you are...if you are happy. Searching for it can take some time, especially if you don't really want happiness, just shoulders. Not a slam, but a comment. Keeping stats isn't a good thing either. I would be suspect of the sanity of 3168 post's as compared to the next

few... Jeff (and I include myself in that group, just to be fair ) Rice

"studegary" wrote...

Jeff - Since you are "curious" as to how I "read this", please carefully re-read my previous post. You will see that I said that I returned and read about 10% of the posts.

Reply to
studegary

"Happiness is wherever you are...if you are happy."

Took the words out of my mouth...if I'd thought of them first. *g*

Best, JoeH.

------------------------

Reply to
JoeH

We notice, Mel! Just over a week ago I was about to ask about you, because I hadn't seen you around for a while. Next download of posts, there ya were!

Don't give up on us completely!

Reply to
Dave Lester

simple people talk about people, smart people talk about current events, brilliant people talk about Ideas. (not sure who to credit this to, but it isn't mine:() does anybody know how to make my car go faster? Rich

Reply to
am not r2

I've heard the reviews and it sounds like a great book. He picked the best men he could find and he knew that one of them at least, hated him and bad mouthed him all the time. He still picked him. None of our politicians from either party would do that today.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Very good points Jeff.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Two ways on how to make your Stude go faster....

1)Altitude. 2) Gravity

"am not r2" wrote...

***
Reply to
Jeff Rice

I thought that was for Pintos???

JT

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

"Back our boys in "Nam" is the obvious answer. (I had "Negotiate, Hell! Fight in Vietnam" in the back window of my GT.)

Karl

(Of course, that one today might make things a bit touchy when I go to MCAS Miramar for my meds!)

Reply to
midlant

Jeff, I think that the quote read "events", not current events." "Current events" too often leads to talking about people. "Events" may lead to people, too, but at least there is less fever involved, unless Jesus or other religious folks are involved..

Karl

Reply to
midlant

because is posts were aften times hilarious,I miss the "black helos".And I miss the days when people HELPED each other. And if you step up and give someone a hand it was because they really NEEDED that help instead of them trying to exploit the helper for whatever twisted scam they are trying to perpatrate. I miss the innocense of youth,but accept the responsibilties of age. I miss cheap gas,and bias ply tires that really smoked and made noise when you burned em off.

Reply to
Mertz Racing

I Like Ike?

Reply to
Mark Dunning

Ike, The "hero" of Budapest? yuk! I can truthfully say that I like Ike better that Hitlery Klinton! BH

Constitution

successfully

Reply to
Barry