oil filter prices

Had been paying NAPA over $11.00 for a #1006 oil filter for the 259 in my '55 President. Was in a Farm Supply store yesterday and bought a Fram C-4 for $7.06 with the tax. This should appeal to you tight-wad Studebaker types. Funny, pay premium money for synthetic oil and then use a cheap filter; go figure??

Reply to
dwcars

I was selling purolator stude filters for $5.00 and the CMF's were whining.

Reply to
oldcarfart

The NAPA GOLD 1050 filter for the 289 is about $5.50

Reply to
So. Ga. Cruiser

I use Wal-Mart filters and oil for a little over 2 bucks for filter and little over a buck a quart for oil. some people say they are junk. Well they may be right cause I just changed the oil in my 150,000 Subaru and it was 1/2 quart low after 3,000 miles since last oil and filter change. BTW I use it in my Studebaker, Harley Davidson and new Crown Vic. I have put over 150,000 miles on several vehicles over the past 15 years with the cheap Wal-Mart filters and oil. Never had a failure. Why would anyone use expensive synthetic oil and not change for 15,000? It has to be nasty after that time.

Reply to
L.D.

Hi,

The oil companies love people who think they have to change modern oils every 3000 miles. As far as using inexpensive WalMart oil, as long as it has the latest API rating such as "SM" on the bottle it is fine for modern vehicles. An exception to this might be your Studebaker with flat tappets. Modern "SM" oil may not contain enough Zinc Dithiophosphate (ZNDTP) to properly lubricate the cam and lifter surfaces long term. This is especially true if one is running stiff valve springs.

As far as synthetics go, they are a superior product with some, such as Amsoil and Mobil 1, being better than most others. I personally use them to save the labor of changing oil every 3000 - 7000 miles in the 8 vehicles I keep road worthy. Amsoil has a product that they recommend changing once per year or every 25,000 miles and another product they say to change every 35,000 miles. The secret is good filtration. The oil will not break down and their superior additive package will last more than a year , but you must use a good filter and you should change it every 12,000 miles. By doing that, the expensive synthetics, as you say, become cost effective and less expensive than WalMart oil changed every 3000 miles. Not to mention the savings of labor and resources.

Jack

Reply to
jack767

Not arguing with you (I change every 3,000 miles too), but I remember a rural mail carrier that we knew who never changed oil, just changed the filter periodically. He ran his can his cars about 100,000 a year and traded them every two or three years. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Paul, I've heard of of people doing that and it was always on cars that were driven many miles a year. I would go along with never changing oil much quicker than changing oil at 25,000 miles or even 15,000 miles as long as a new filter was put in every 2 to 3,000 miles.

Reply to
L.D.

Reply to
jack767

I don' think it's the oil companies, but the dealers! (I know I work for one) But, the service writers are ALL paid on commission, and with the warranties being better, there is NOT much service work! I haven't looked, but I think the owners manual on my 05 Grand Caravan indicates 5000 miles. So, who came up with the 3K oil change? And since oils are better then they were 40 years ago, shouldn't the oil change interval be longer? We had a maintenance worker at the Indianapolis Chrysler Foundry, that had a Durango with 38K on the clock and never changed his oil! Of course, it was in the service dept. for an engine! Maybe HE is the reason Chrysler shut the foundry down! (actually it was the city and their "new" epa laws) I have changed the oil on my Caravan every 3k, and I also change the oil on my 52 about every 3K too. The 62 500 Festival Car Clone, has had 2 oil changes already, and probably only has about 25 miles on it tops!

Jim Turner

Reply to
Jim Turner

Reply to
oldcarfart

Reply to
L.D.

Reply to
jack767

Reply to
oldcarfart

A while back we had a similar thread aboout when to change oil.

At that time, I mentioned that Consumer's Union ran a test on NYC taxis a few years ago, changed some at 3000 and some at 7000 or 7500. After hundreds of thousands of miles, there was little difference in wear between the 2 intervals.

Dunno what kind of oil they used but since I do LOTS of driving, it convinced me to change oil about every 7000. I use WalMart synthetic

5w-30 that is pretty cheap compared to Mobile 1 (which I used previously) and of course ALWAYS change the filter with the oil.

My Chrysler van (3.8 engine) has over 200k now and uses about a quart between changes. The Oldsmobile I drove previously (3.1 engine) had over 400k when I FINALLY gave it to my sister-in-law--it used about a half quart between changes. By the way, she is STILL driving the van, altho I'm sure it does not get the oil changed as frequently now. And tho the trans was rebuilt twice, the engine had never had more than normal maintenance.

Nor has the Chrysler.

John

Reply to
fieronut