OT: A sad day for music: Singer James Brown dies at 73 - 2 page article with aound

Singer James Brown dies at 73 'Godfather of Soul' had been hospitalized in Atlanta with pneumonia

ATLANTA - James Brown, the dynamic, pompadoured "Godfather of Soul," whose revolutionary rhythms, rough voice and flashing footwork influenced generations of musicians from rock to rap, died early Christmas morning. He was 73.

Brown was hospitalized with pneumonia at Emory Crawford Long Hospital on Sunday and died of heart failure around 1:45 a.m. Monday, said his agent, Frank Copsidas of Intrigue Music.

He initially seemed fine at the hospital and even told people that he planned to be on stage in New York on New Year's Eve, Copsidas said.

Reply to
Dale J.

Hey, Lee.

I was in Boston when ML King was shot. Brown was doing a show and arranged for it to be televised on the local PBS TV station all night, keeping many his fans inside, watching. I think that other stations picked it up. Boston was calm that night. Google it, if you doubt me.

Care to rethink what you wrote? I expect that a lot of us who were there think you should.

Karl

Reply to
midlant

Karl.. A lot has happened since you were in Boston in 1968.....Not all of it good, and not all of it reported. While Lee may not speak as eloquently as some, the sentiment in Georgia is generally not that fond of him. He did leave a regular trail of police reports and court appearances for his drug abuse, alcohol abuse, and violent behavior toward women. A convicted criminal with a prison record (for walking into an insurance seminar with a shotgun, high on Angel Dust that led to an interstate car chase), an ex wife who OD'd on PCP and died. Oh, I won't list it all... look it up on Google... His current 'partner' is all up in arms as she was locked out of the estate by the executors (today's paper). Seems she wasn't divorced when they were married (his fourth attempt). So the state did not recognize that marriage. She did finally get the divorce, but they never did re-marry to make things legal. Lee spoke the truth, so he needs not re-think anything. While I do not often see eye to eye with Lee, I do find your closing comment interesting. Lee posted a comment on his own and did not ask for support from the NG. Your response is a bit lacking in responsible reporting. Care to rethink what you wrote? I also expect that a lot of us who are here there think you should. Jeff

Fast is fine.... Accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp

Hey, Lee.

Reply to
Jeff Rice

As a resident of Georgia, I wish I could have written what Jeff did. He is right on target.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Reply to
Pat Drnec

OK, that's one.

The countdown has started........ Bets, anyone?

So now the truth is 'piling on'.... Yes, he did do some good things, and I did not belittle him for any of that. I too like to listen to some of his music, and now it will be played more on the free radio. That's a good thing. But... All that was posted was that he did not have a big following in Georgia. All that I posted was the same info, backed by some....facts. I suppose that's wrong. C'mon! Let's tie the political thing in here! After all, it's an election cycle! There has to be a political tie in here somewhere... (How about Al Sharpton saying James Brown was on par with Bach, genre wise?) Yep, ya need a pile to pile on.... Jeff (Yer' crackin' me up too... both you, me, Johan, and James are having a good laugh.. ) Rice

"Pat Drnec" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

On balance, the world was indeed better with him. Yes, he got in trouble with drugs in the 80's, apperenty smacked his wife around later. In spite of all that, he did much good. I recall him entertaining the troops in Vietnam when the war was unpopular, he only had a grade school education, but preached kids to stay in school, he was very active in helping poor folks in his home town. Hell, Elvis did drugs too, but I still miss his music.

Pat Drnec wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos