OT:Fuel prices...yuck!

Bush is wrong about a lot of things... he's a country club politician with some conservative ideas.

One of the really funny things about all this is that years ago there was a big bunch of people (many of them wearing funny clothes and smoking exotic substances), and they flat out assumed "the establishment" was lying to them about pretty much everything.

Now it's a couple of decades and many (most?) of these same people are buying this cockamamie global warming nonsense that is being pedaled by the SAME GOVERNMENT and organizations that they assumed were lying to them decades ago.

Kyoto or whatever nonsense that comes along next is akin to Indians doing a rain dance thinking it will change the weather... and about as likely to be effective.

It's as much superstition and pseudoscience as astrology, homeopathic medicine, UFO's and Scientology.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

That's a great point.... But consider that a lot of those people way back then are now IN the government. (And I consider public schools and secondary educational institutions part of it) They bred more future voters and trained them to vote a certain way no matter what. A self fulfilling prophecy.

"Jeff DeWitt" wrote..

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Jeff Rice

You miss the point. Bush and his cronies hate the idea of global warming and fought it as far as they could. They are not "Pedaling" it, they are finally having to admit that it is real and that man has a part in causing it.

Reply to
ALEX M.

"ALEX M." spewed in message news:Vjw4k.58443$bs3.13396@trnddc07...

You are the fascist xenophobe... It is true that Germans did indeed lay down their lives for Jews. One Catholic priest requested to be executed in the place of a Jew. Mexicans on juries frequently refuse to convict the white victims of Hispanic criminals here in Texas. You sympathisize with the criminals more than you do with their victims. You are SO twisted.

Reply to
Barry

No, the point with the Bush people is they are politicians and rather than stand up for principal they did the easy thing. Plus they are doing what they can to slow any idiotic action to help "solve" the problem.

Aside from that they have to pick their battles and consider the war on terror more important, and that is a VERY reasonable point of view.

Jeff DeWitt

ALEX M. wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

I think that the reason the Bush administration has changed its tune regarding climate change is one of what will be his legacy. Considering that he is the worst republican prez in my memory, (the past four years has been abysmal), he is doing all that is possible to produce a positive spin regardless of merit.

Climate change, as you have posted, has become an enormous industry based on hysteria.

Worse, whatever follows Bush will be even worse...

JT

Jeff DeWitt wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I am afraid you are right. Brace for a global carbon tax coupled with more restrictions on domestic exploration with either Hanoi John or the Marxist mulatto.

Reply to
Barry

It is not "based on hysteria" it is based on fact. Some may be able to make a rational argument that we can't do much to stop it and shouldn't try, but there is no rational argument to say it is not happening.

Reply to
ALEX M.

Ask yourself that question, Alex. Maybe you should study up on the role that the Sun plays in our climate. Right now, the next sunspot cycle is overdue, and solar physicists are speculating that we may be entering another period of low solar activity comparable the Maunder Minimum, which coincided with the Little Ice Age in the 16th through 19th centuries. Note that these solar physicists are not employed by the oil industry.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Geez Gord..Dont toss in stuff like that.The 2 combatants would have to read material beyond their normal parameters.Accepting a third source of info might cause shock!...lol

Reply to
Bob

And you think the climate scientist are unaware of the sun science? They take all of the science into account, not just what they want to hear. The deniers remind me so much of the company shills who worked for the tobacco companies decades ago, and used to say that smoking was not addictive. Follow the money.

Reply to
ALEX M.

Yes, more information is always good. Try this one on for size-- "Solar irradiance changes have been measured reliably by satellites for only

30 years. These precise observations show changes of a few tenths of a percent that depend on the level of activity in the 11-year solar cycle. Changes over longer periods must be inferred from other sources. Estimates of earlier variations are important for calibrating the climate models. While a component of recent global warming may have been caused by the increased solar activity of the last solar cycle, that component was very small compared to the effects of additional greenhouse gases. According to a NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) press release, "...the solar increases do not have the ability to cause large global temperature increases...greenhouse gases are indeed playing the dominant role..." The Sun is once again less bright as we approach solar minimum, yet global warming continues."

Reply to
ALEX M.