OT question on upholstery trim screws

I'm about to do some interior/upholstery work...

Does anyone know when to use a flush-type washer on a phillips-head trim screw as opposed to when to use a flanged-type or a countersunk trim washer?....

I'm leaning toward the flush-type for leather-covered panels, and flanged-type on cloth or hard-surface formed parts, but I'm not really sure what is the standard practice, so maybe I have it backwards; nor do I know when the countersunk washer should be used, except it seems like it would cut into fabric or leather.

Reply to
WayneC

I depends on whether the screw is a countersink or flat type.

JT

WayneC wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

In this case we're talking all countersunk phillips head

All the washers I mentioned in the post are for countersink screws.

Reply to
WayneC

You just answered your own question..

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I think I know what he's talking about - when I was in avionics I saw a lot of both styles. The flush type are little more than a conical washer with a bit of a lip, while the other type looks like a dog bowl.

I think the flush type can only be used with materials thick enough to bed the entire washer, while the dog-bowl type is independent of the material thickness. The flush type is definitely classier on leather.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee