OT Tire repair

This is non Studebaker related, but I thought maybe someone out there might have some knowledge on this. I just bought new tires for my wife's car
205/50/R16 and not but a couple of hundred miles later one gets a puncture. Took it to a local repair place (not where I purchased the tires) and asked for a flat repair. Five minutes later they come out holding a thin piece of metal about 1/2" wide that tapers down to a more rounded hook end. In all it was about 4" long. They told me that the tire was too damaged to be fixed, but because of the odd size, they didn't have anything in stock. They then decided to go ahead and plug and patch the tire but told me I still needed a new tire. My searches on the internet only come up with info saying not to repair anything over 1/4" in diameter, but this was more like a 1/2" thin cut (kind of like if someone stabbed it with a 1/2" knife. I'm not sure if they just wanted to sell me a new low profile tire, of if this thing is really toast. I'm a bit skeptical because if they really thought the tire was ruined, wouldn't they have suggested the spare instead of fixing it?
Steve Bernth 56 Power Hawk
Steve Bernth wrote:

I don't think the tire people were necessarily trying to BS you; they are just following official recommendations and really unless the cut was 100% on the tread even an "engineering WAG" says they're right. I doubt a plug would hold; a patch from inside the tire might, but if it's anywhere that flexes why take the chance? I'd replace it too.
nate
From a liability standpoint it should not have been repaired. The damage is greater than what is generally acceptable for repair and would leave them liable if the repair fails and causes damages.