VIN Number

Should the number stamped on the X Frame on a 63 Avanti be the same as the one on the inside left door pillar? Allen

Reply to
satdoc2 via CarKB.com

There is no number on the door frame, just on the right frame rail under the hood.

satdoc2 via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
satdoc2 via CarKB.com

There is no number on the X Frame! I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist saying it that way; to match John's comment. I think the "secret serial # location" on an Avanti is actually on the cross member above the rear axle, where the shocks mount; rather than the "X" member. On most Studes, it's on the rear cross member, but Avanti's is round section, and would probably be hard to stamp. Some of us have found the rear cross member to be less than permanent, too! Mike M.

Reply to
Mike

It depends on the year of Avanti....

On (at least) the early 70's Avanti II, the serial number is on a foil like decal on the driver's B-pillar. That number should match the plate on the frame on the passenger's side frame rail in the engine bay.

I believe the numbers you see stamped into the X-member are just part numbers. I have seen these numbers both on Avanti frames as well as ragtop and Wagonaire X-members.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee