Where can I find a new camshaft?

basically the reground is fine, just throws off the rocker geometry a tiny amount, but not enough to make any real difference. I'd suggest a R1 cam or one of Ted's grinds if you want a little more zip from the engine. Fairborn Studebaker also sells resurfaced lifters.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Well today I took the 289 in to a recommended engine builder and it looks like the camshaft is showing signs of wear. Does anyone know where I might be able to buy a replacement camshaft? The part number is 534131. I have looked on Sasco and Studebaker International and so far I can't find one. I can get a reground camshaft but what does that do to my setup?

Thanks in advance, Tim

Reply to
Tim Ulrich

What part of the camshaft is worn Tim? You can get oversize cam bearings in various sizes.

Tim Ulrich wrote:

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

Michael,

We found some noticable wear patterns on the cam. The parts are going in the bath today. He will check for tolerances when they come out of the tank. At that point we can decide what to do based on how far off spec they are. I like your suggestions about the oversized cam bearings to compensate. That sounds like it would work fine.

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
Tim Ulrich

Nate,

Forgive the novice questions but what would an R1 cam do for my engine? This is a 289 from a 56H which was already bumped up above the specs on the other 289's produced that year. What do you think it will do for me in terms of increased torque?

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
Tim Ulrich

I don' think that is true for the Stude engines Michael. I want you to be right! Please prove to me that you are. thanks, Jerry

Reply to
jerrystudebaker

Probably not a lot for torque, but it will rev a little better and give you more power on the top end. Will also give you an idle that has a little more "authority" than the stock cam :)

nate

Tim Ulrich wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

Nate,

I like the sounds of that. I'll check it out.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Ulrich

Nate,

Would you know what year the R1 cam is for or a part number?

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
Tim Ulrich

Where can you get oversized cam bearings? I'd like to know the supplier. Jeff

Reply to
Deepnhock

De Ja Voo all over again.

Remember, I stopped in the middle of my 259 rebuild because of the excess clearance in the cam bearings. Have not gotten restarted yet. Have not gotten the excessive cam bearing clearance problem resolved yet.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Actually, they'd be undersize cam bearings wouldn't they?

I've never seen them offered. I think you would have to have the camshaft journals hard chromed and reground to standard size.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

I assumed they made oversize cam bearings. Since it appears there is no such animal, why not?

Gord> >De Ja Voo all over again.

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

because. Jerry

Reply to
jerrystudebaker

I think that since the cam is harder than the bearings, most wear would be in the bearings. So it would be very rare to need oversize bearings.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno