1991 subaru seat belt

The shoulder strap of my 1991 subaru used to automatically retract from near the windshield to behind me when I started the car. Now it sits there mocking me for what appears to be a random time interval before retracting back behind me. During this time I have no shoulder restraint. Does anyone know how I can fix it?

Or maybe disable it when it is in the correct position and manually re-attach the shoulder strap?

Reply to
lesterpyle