Blown headlights

For some strange reason the headlights on my 97 legacy GTB only last a couple of months max before they blow, I have checked the earthings and they all seem fine and have had the alternator checked out also. I thought this may be something subaru specific that someone else has encounted.

Suggestions??

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

A) Don't get fingerprints on the bulbs B) Check the connectors for oxidation/corrosion

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I had this problem on a Mazda MPV mini-van. It ended up that the voltage regulator in the alternator blew and anytime the engine got a fair amount of RPMs the headlights would blow.

I'm not sure what design Subaru uses for voltage regulator. Some have it inside the alternator, some separate from it, and some have one in the alternator and another one separate in the system.

Reply to
Henry Paul

Add check voltage at the bulb connector to the list. I had a car years ago that ate one headlight consistently. Turns out it had a voltage drop at that side of nearly 2v. Mighty hard on halogen bulbs. BTW, if you DO get fingerprints on the bulbs, a bit of alcohol on a tissue takes 'em right off. I clean mine before installation just on principle.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright