Forester Windshield Edge Coating ?

I just picked up a 2006 Forester X (USA) There is black trim coating around edge of the windshield with a larger area covered at the top center, behind the mirror. Does anyone know if this material is conductive? I would like to install my toll booth transponder (E-Z Pass for me in NY State) at the top of the windshield behind the mirror but the transponder will not work if the coating is conductive. (I don't want to "test" it at the first toll booth I go into.)

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Dunno - but if you have a garage door opener I suggest you use that for a confidence test. Approach the garage and where you would normally open the door, stick the opener into the area you want to mount the transponder and see if it works. If you don't have one, maybe you can borrow one from a friend and do the same sort of test with his garage door.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I don't think it will be a problem. My WRX has a black band at the top of the rear window, I've got a glass-mount antenna there for a two-way radio and it works fine. However I'm not sure you want to mount your E-Z Pass where it can't be seen from the outside, I believe you're supposed to mount it so it's clearly visible to the officers at the toll plaza. I have mine mounted to the right of the mirror so it's not in my field of view.

Reply to
mulder

Thanks. I don't think it has to be visible since most of the Z-E Pass lanes I use don't have humans at all. However, the instructions do say that it should be at least one inch below the top edge of the windshield - which I thought was to reduce any effect of the roof and metal trim acting as a ground plane and reducing the signal strength. I'm also a bit leery of attaching the adhesive strips over the black material since I will not be able to remove the strips without damaging the coating when I sell the car. To the right of the mirror looks like a good place. That's where I have it now in my '97 OBW since there isn't enough room above the mirror mount.

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Victor,

There shouldn't be a problem. I've got a Forester and use an e-Tag on Melbourne's CityLink system (Australia). It beeps like it's supposed to and debits my account... The e-Tag in my car looks like the "chilean model" image on this page:

HTH,

...Ric

Victor Roberts wrote:

Reply to
ric_man

Ric - thanks. My tag looks like the top photo at the link you sent. Do you have your tag mounted above the mirror or to the right?

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Victor,

Mine is behind the mirror to the right (we've got RHD cars in Australia)... could have mounted it on the left behind the mirror, but didn't think about it at the time... I was in the driver's seat...

...Ric

Reply to
ric_man

How could I have forgotten that you were part of the British Empire and still part of the Commonwealth. I wonder - are our neighbors to the north the only former part of the Empire who drive on the right side of the road?

I've driven in England, Wales Scotland & the Irish Republic. Quiet exciting - especially right after getting off an overnight flight and heading into a traffic circle and looking the wrong way.