Floorpan Coating

Hey Everyone,

The gutting of the Beetle's interior continues....

The floorpans have some minor surface rust on them that I want to take care of. The problem is that the original VW paint is peeling off. No biggie, I'll just paint the floors. But here is where the issue arises....I can't find POR-15 anywhere in the Kitchener-Waterloo area of Southern Ontario, so what are some alternatives? I have considered using like Tremclad Oil based spray paint, and then coating that layer with some of that rubberized undercoating stuff that one buys at most automotive stores. But, I don't know how effective this will be for sound deadening and overall protection.

I was planning on using the undercoating in the area behind the rear doorpanels, as this will deaden noise and prevent corrosion, but only after I replace the quarter panels...

So any suggestions as to what I should be doing about my floorpans would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

protection.

Reply to
Ben Boyle

protection.

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Well, the only place that is near me is Mark's Bug Barn...and I don't like to deal with them....

I know that the stuff that VW uses on newer cars is like virtually indestructible...I mean, my '90 Jetta has the most amazing undercoating...13 years and not a spec of rust....

In the end, if I do decide to go with POR-15, what type should I use and how much will I need?

Thanks,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

POR15 isnt undercoating.

undercoating...13

Reply to
Gary H

I know it isn't, and I don't intend to use it like that.

Reply to
Pete Cressman

undercoating...13

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Ben,

When you did your floors, did you simply sand them down and apply the POR-15, or did you use the Metal Ready and Marine Clean to prep the metal for the POR-15?

Thanks,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

undercoating...13

Reply to
Ilambert

I actually saw something at the local Crappy Tire (Pep Boys in the US)....called "hippo liner" it showed it being used in a Pickup Truck bed....I actually was contemplating it, but POR-15 seems to be the stuff that comes highly recommended....

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Pete Cressman wrote: > I can't

Got to

I ordered from there, and was very happy. Get their catalog, and look at all the stuff they have. They re-did their web page a few months back, and I can't find anything on the new one. I like to buy the six pack of half pint cans (~US$35). Earlier, if I opened a small can, and used just part, the next time I used that can, I had to destroy it to re-open it. I just tried the "close a piece of plastic sheet in the lid" trick, yesterday, and was able to reopen the can easily today. BTW, Harbor Freight sells "chip brushes" by the case. I bought 36 one inch brushes for US$6, then I don't bother to clean them, just toss the gloves and the brush.

I think a truck bed paint would be a really good thing to have in place of carpet, especially in a thing.

Mike.

Reply to
Michael Kelly